Thread: 40 Mile Steese Bou Hunt Update

Talking 40 Mile Steese Bou Hunt Update

How is the the youth hunt going? Any reports? Widely Scattered?

Widely scattered with very few near the roads in zone 3 according to the hotline.

Thanks, my 70yr old dad is up visiting and am looking to get a feel for where to go....Eagle Summit area or Circle HS area.... I always seem to go to the wrong spot each year. No time to scout due to work/child commitments....such is life.

I flew over Taylor MT on Sunday. No a single one in sight. That could change anytime thou

Last year I made the right decision and drove the long trip to Chicken. It was well worth it and I will never put in the miles to go up the Steese again.

Quote Originally Posted by tjhunter2000 View Post
    Last year I made the right decision and drove the long trip to Chicken. It was well worth it and I will never put in the miles to go up the Steese again.
    What was the big difference?

Wonder how the roads are with all the rain

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel7723 View Post
    What was the big difference?
    The area north of Tok to Chicken I found to be more accesible and less concentration of hunters. T

The Steese has hundreds of hunters piled up competing for a smaller area ATV/Road accesible and if you look at the Harvest Statistics you have a 20% in Zone 3 and close to 50% in Zone 1.

My friend just returned and counted 25 already. I won't say which road but there are several around Wilson Creek where I killed mine last year, and this is where they have been spotted already.

Hope that helps.

tjhunter- Thanks for the update. The herd doesn't seem to be moving much right now, but that can change overnight. be careful about putting too much faith in the Harvest stats. The herd is very unpredictable and vary every year. This year it may be 80% in Zone 3 and 10% in zone 1. I believe there are three major areas: Chicken area, North of Jack Wade and Boundary area. Its a roll of the dice on which area will be hot this year. I'm going this year but still haven't made up my mind where yet.

The Hotline was updated today.