Thread: Montague

Default Montague

Gonna head out to Montague to check it out for the first time for deer. Any inside info on which side of the island we should take a look at? I figure glass from the boat and spot and stalk. Any better recommendations on strategies? This is all new to me
    Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

I would stay away from the federal rental cabins. From reading the logbooks, they get hit pretty hard near them.

When are you going?

It will remain buck only until October and you aren't likely to see any from the boat unless they are right down on the beach. My experience is that the only ones that will be at the beach during daylight hours before snowfall will be the yearlings that get weaned from thier mothers before the rut. I've never seen one with antlers from a boat because I haven't gone late enough in the season when they get pushed down.

If I was going right now I think I would hunt the upper 1/3 of elevation somewhere north of Zaikov Bay with the expectation of hard work for any success.

I have to agree with Meanderthal, if you are going now, you'll find the bucks hanging out in the alpine valleys still. Get high and glass, you should find success.

yep...have to hike up high to shoot any bucks. Be careful of bears...
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

My biggest concern is safe anchorage, there's very little that protects you from storms. Rocky and Zaikof bays are to open to easterly's or NE winds. Spent three days in the boat once in 120 mph wilawa's 100 yards off shore on Hinchinbrook.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I would stay away from the federal rental cabins. From reading the logbooks, they get hit pretty hard near them.
    From my experience, this is absolutely true. The further away, the better your chances. Avoid the west end of island altogether unless you are just below the treeline in the brush.

Quote Originally Posted by 907Pilot View Post
    From my experience, this is absolutely true. The further away, the better your chances. Avoid the west end of island altogether unless you are just below the treeline in the brush.
    Ended up hitting naked island. Saw 8 deer. One buck that I was close enough to but forgot the range finder. Felt a lot further than it was. Didn't take a shot when I should've. Skittish deer for sure. Hiked high and a lot of sign. Just didn't see the deer.
    Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

I wouldn't hunt Montague this year. ADFG pellet counts showed the second lowest numbers of deer since they began doing pellet surveys in 1988. The spring of 2012 had the lowest number of deer so they are on the mend. They just need some more time to recover.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...rticles_id=672