Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dg362

Default Dg362

I will be flying into upper hazel lake on September 24th for my 1st goat hunt. If anyone has any information on the area it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Bump;
    Down to the 2 week countdown! Been getting gear ready and trying to do all the research I can. I spoke to the Biologist the other day also. I was recently talked into replacing my spot with a delorme inreach. The only concern I have with it is the rechargeable battery instead of AA or AAA's. Does anyone have any experience with battery life in the field? They claim 100 hrs on one charge but that doesn't do me too good on a week long hunt. My other dilemma is rain pants. I have been reading tons of reviews and I am tore between the Kuiu Chugach and the Marmot precip. I obviously like the price of the precip pant better and know I could get it here in time, as I have previously had some long wait times on kuiu shipping. I currently have the precip jacket but with only one hunt under its belt, which seemed to do okay. Any info on the Area or gear would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks

Don't mess w/ the Chugach in goat country - get the KUIU Yukon. I spend three days in a snow / sleet / rain fest in the AK range on a sheep hunt and I can say that because I had the Yukon pant and jacket... I survived. It was freezing cold and wet. My base layer underneath stayed bone dry because of the Yukon gear. Don't skimp, you'll never regret it.

I have the precip as well and three days into any rain and you'll start getting wet.

I bought the inreach last spring and so far it's worked great. We flew in for a caribou hunt and when we flew out 4 days later the battery level was 85%. Having said that, I only turn the unit on when I want to send a message or check the message in-box. I did leave the unit on for an hour or two a few times during the hunt so I could send tracking points to the family.
    "One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"
    Jose Ortega y Gasset, Meditations on Hunting.

Sounds good guys thanks

There are very few places in DG 362 you won't have cell service.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

How did your hunt go? Love to hear the results

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    There are very few places in DG 362 you won't have cell service.
    When we did the hunt in 2014 we had limited cell coverage, and only one spot at the lake would get coverage. AT&T service.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I don't believe State Parks is allowing people to fly into Upper Hazel for goat hunting any longer...

It sounds like this has been a reg for a while, but not enforced until this year (2015). Anyone else have details on this restriction?

Just checked with the ranger. Upper hazel is closed, lower hazel is allowed.

Wow, that sure changes things for this tag, perhaps no longer the easiest goat tag in the state? That upper lake landing sure was nice, you could be on the goats in 45 minutes of hiking.

What ranger did you talk to? I have been searching all morning and can't find a reference to that lake being closed for flight. I won this tag and would be highly upset if they changed that rule without any actual rule being written. Can someone please post the written guidance on this issue?

Jason Okuly 235-7024. New ranger for kachemak bay state park. Is the upper lake in the wilderness park? That would mean no motorized access.

It is in the wilderness park........Hopefully some pilots can get a permit to get in there this year.

I emailed Jose at Northwind and he thinks he will get the permit approved for this year. He also said there weren't any other fly in options that he knew of, so if the permits don't get issued next year it will be hike in from the beach only.

I bought a parachute.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Lower Hazel lake is like 1/4 m from the wilderness area.

A couple of visuals for those who have the tag.

Looking down on Upper Hazel from mountain to the east of the lake. We saw a nice goat on the mountain straight across and four on the mountain in the far right.

Another one in non-panoramic. This spot is about an hour hike from the lake.

Here is a look at the valley at the head of the lake. Lots of area to hunt, and a forum member we met on the way in (his flight out) took one in this area.

And finally a look down towards lower hazel and Homer Spit in the background. This is the backside of the mountain (to the east) from the previous pictures, and where we got our billy. The mountain on the left is the one where we saw the four goats.

Thanks Warrior, this helps a ton. Time to hit the gym......

Hunt this unit opening day or wait until the dust clears. Everyone and their dog who draws this permit hunts upper Hazel Lake. It looks like a small city on opening night. I don't apply for this area anymore. Too much like a carnival for my desires. Take a shotgun. Last time I was there, we saw thousands of Ptarmigan.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast