Thread: off year

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default off year

Not many halibut in the bays, no pinks, quiet silvers, plenty of lings and rockfishes and out on the capes we have a ton of brown jelly fish that have twine as tentacles and tangle in the trolling and jigging gear, never had this problem before with brown striped jellies.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

That's not good. Well we are headed down Sunday! Hope to pick up some fish! Hope the weather cooperates!!!

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com
    My personal pages...I'm not a guide.

I feel your pains Jef, it's the same over here. Those Jelly Fish are a PITA too on the trolling gear.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Anything noticeably different like water temperature? Any suggestions given this condition? Are you finding fish deeper? Away or closer from shore than normal? Or is it just one of those "Where are the fish?" kinda things.... Love the pics you guys are posting...there has to be some fish around there! lol.

I'll be happy ultralighting small rockfish all day long, but some of the bigger fish Kodiak has to offer would be nice too!

Seems the same all over,, water temps above the norm. PWS is stuffed with candlefish making fishing tough. Very leak run of Silvers in Valdez, the rivers up north were clogged with red algae...

I think Mother Nature might have the flu.....

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    Anything noticeably different like water temperature? Any suggestions given this condition? Are you finding fish deeper? Away or closer from shore than normal? Or is it just one of those "Where are the fish?" kinda things.... Love the pics you guys are posting...there has to be some fish around there! lol.

I'll be happy ultralighting small rockfish all day long, but some of the bigger fish Kodiak has to offer would be nice too!
    More of a "Where are fish" . Buskin has silvers, had one week in July that was amazing with Kings, but no amazing silver fishing. The bait isn't pilling up like it should've been so I think the silvers are jsut running around in the open eating whatever they can, they blasting straight to the rivers.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakcombo View Post
    Not many halibut in the bays, no pinks, quiet silvers, plenty of lings and rockfishes and out on the capes we have a ton of brown jelly fish that have twine as tentacles and tangle in the trolling and jigging gear, never had this problem before with brown striped jellies.

No 'off year' down here in SE. Tons of silvers, still some kings after the second king troll opener, lots of halibut being caught shallow inside the bays migrating in to feast on dead salmon. Not to mention it's been an above average year for dungy crabbing. Plenty of pinks...but who targets pinks besides seiners and gillnetters? They're fun to play on light tackle or stack up for bait I guess.