Thread: Kenai Opens To Bait!!!!!

Default Kenai Opens To Bait!!!!!

Hot off the press release, Kenia goes to bait tonight at 12:01am. Bait on Tuesday BELOW THE MOOSE RIVER!!!! Note: Slot limit still in effect.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/state.../nr.cfm?id=819

See ya at 12:01 01!

Breakfast is served!

Go get 'em boys!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default Breakfast, lunch and dinner

The 6:00 drop was AWESOME!!! 2 drifts = 2 fish. Water temp started out at about 48 degrees but was less than 44 before 9:00. The bite turned off... had to work for fish. Short bursts throughout the day with a good bite at the top of the tide down low. A few nice fish, most that I saw (and caught) were 2-3 ocean bucks. A few sockeye rolling and caught on king gear.

Didn't matter what was at the end of the line... plugs and eggs both produced.

All this with blue skies and sunshine.... It was a good day...

Fishing was great if you were in the right place... Sunken, Harry's, and Porter's fished good all day while the lower holes (below Porter's) were fairly slow, but had a few spurts throughout the day. There were certainly a lot of small kings bonked Tuesday (10-15 pounders). We had a little trouble keeping good fish on the line, but landed a few rats and a 47 inch buck that we turned back. We lost 2 nice slot fish in the 30 pound range right at the boat as well, which was a little frustrating. Everything kinda shut down around 11am or so... only saw a few fish caught after that.
    Anyone fish the Kenai today? Reports please.
    MarkW3
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

I heard of fish from Airplane to Sunken producing some fish, nothing hot, just steady, if you stayed long enough you got one. Sounds like the whole river was pretty much that way. Not a hot day, pretty typical day, not what you would expect for the second day of bait.

Kenai today - 2 clients, half day, 1 30 pound hen. Looked like the average was about 1 fish per boat.... pretty slow in general. Water temps hovered between 41.5 and 43.5 all day long, and I fished all the way from sunken to mud. I never saw a consistent bite anywhere at anytime; just a fish here and there, about every half hour or so. Counts are good as well as water clarity, so I'd assume the water temp is keeping the bite down a bit.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

WOW, that is cold for this time of year, water seems pretty low as well. With the good counts and good water and bait we should be catching some more fish. Hope the water warms!!!

Default Cold water

Dang, I thought it had started to warm up!

Do you guys know of any sites out there that give real time data of water temps for the Kenai?

AOJ has a chart, but hasn't put one out for 07 yet.

Default kenai water temps

This site has water data including temperature for AK creeks/rivers. I only see temp for the Kenai up at Cooper Landing, though they have another site near Soldotna.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ak/nwis/rt
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.