Thread: Best Places to Buy .223

Default Best Places to Buy .223

I am looking to buy something other than 55 grain ammo for my AR15, and I would like to ask you all where you tend to buy yours.

Depends on what you want, but generally check Arctic Ammo, Cabela's, Bass Pro, and Wally world. Fred Meyer's always seems over priced, but they have stuff.

You can pick up federal m855 at wally world for $447 per 1k. Which is a decent price.

Three Bears had the cheapest bulk ammo last time I was looking, pre-Newtown.

As far as variety of bullets and weights I'm not sure if anyone can be the variety at sportsmans or Cabelas, maybe BassPro but I haven't been there yet.

What is the Three Bears price on bulk? Is it brass or steel case? Just curious. Last time I bought at Cabela's the steel case (Herter's - which is actually Tula) was $5.99 for 20. Which works out the 30 cents a round. If Three Bears is cheaper, it's closer to me and I'll swing by there instead.

Three Bears is around 43 cents a round for PMC (brass case). I've been reloading PMC brass exclusively for my AR and it has worked great for me so I bought a case.

Check out 3 Bears, The Ammo Can, or Walmart for bulk .223/5.56. Around $400 for a case of 1K would be a decent price. That comes to $.40 per round. If you want to scrape the bottom of the price barrel, you can pick up even cheaper steel case import ammo from overseas.

Or better yet, reload your own for about $.20 per round by buying bulk powder, bullets, and primers.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Three Bears is around 43 cents a round for PMC (brass case). I've been reloading PMC brass exclusively for my AR and it has worked great for me so I bought a case.
    OK, got it. I was hoping for less. I think the PMC is running about the same at Cabela's. I generally get a couple hundred rounds of the steel case for plinking and not feeling like I'm breaking the bank when the whole family goes out to the range. I'll be putting more into my reloading gear over the next year and hoping to start loading my own .223 then. All I need now is the dies and some case prep tools. Oh and a better press... LOL.
    Last edited by Mobius; 08-21-2014 at 22:43. Reason: Cause I ain't speel sew gud.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    OK, got it. I was hoping for less. I think the PMC is running about the same at Cabela's. I generally get a couple hundred rounds of the steel case for plinking and not feeling like I'm breaking the bank when the whole family goes out to the range. I'll be putting more into my reloading gear over the next year and hoping to start loading my own .223 then. All I need now is the dies and some case prep tools. Oh and a better press... LOL.
    You shouldn't need much case prep, I haven't needed to do anything to mine and I'm to 4 reloads on some of them.

I prices out non-military range brass for .223 plinking and it wasn't amazingly cheap so I just sucked it up and bought the PMC. It shoots we'll out of my gun too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EDC Alaska has 1000 rds of Pmc for $375

Quote Originally Posted by Ak-pilot View Post
    EDC Alaska has 1000 rds of Pmc for $375
    Where is that?

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Where is that?
    "EDC Alaska EDC Alaska in Anchorage AK, selling knives, flashlights, ammo, guns, backpacks. Across from the Sears Mall next to Able Locksmith. 907-770-1006"

Have you been checking the case length. I think about 4 resizings is about max before you need to trim them.

Yeah I spot check them, I've only got about 20 that I'm on my 4th resize, I'll double check them, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk