Thread: Wierd day on the sound

Default Wierd day on the sound

Took some Seattle folks out yesterday. Left Whittier at 7am and spent an hour bopping around in the fog, the bank lasted all the way to the outside point of blackstone. Water was flat calm. About 2 miles from Lower passage and we entered another fog bank to took us almost all the way to Montague. We ended up fishing the outside of Hinch and got a limit of lings and black rock fish but no halibut. Fished closer to home around N. Knight and picked up few silvers. On the way home we found a pod of killer whales chasing a huge pod of porpoise. I'm assuming they were chasing them, or perhaps they were both feeding on bait fish or salmon? My screen was filled with huge bait balls as we watched them. It was an amazing show as we were right in the middle of them. I'll try and post some video.

One thing I've noticed this year in PWS, there are balls of bait wherever I go. Everywhere we are seeing huge balls of either herring or candlefish. All the fish we caught yesterday were completely full of candlefish. Good to see lots of bait around, but I know the fishing has been tough as I think they are just plain full of bait already.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Thanks for the post, the sound can sure through out surprises. Hope the weather holds have a three day weekend and was planing a Hinch trip.

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    Thanks for the post, the sound can sure through out surprises. Hope the weather holds have a three day weekend and was planing a Hinch trip.
    This sure is an amazing stretch of "variable 10, seas 2" for PWS for this time of year. Think I'm gonna make another day-trip on Friday if this holds.
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

We will be out this weekend for a last fishing trip and a few hikes to the alpine for a few deer. Hope this weather holds....
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859