Thread: best lightwieght single man tent

Default best lightwieght single man tent

Looking at what people are using for single man tents. I am interested in the hilliberg akto but it seems like their would e something lighter out their. Yes I know the rep of the hillieberg tents to be great.
    will be using the tent for mountain hunting.
    thanks

Depends on how sturdy and rock solid you want it to be. I will have a hard time using a tent thats not a hilleberg because of my experience with them. Look at the kuiu mountain star 1person, its at 2lbs 10oz. its gotten great reviews.

What months will you be looking at using your tent?

Depends on what you call best??? Single wall vs Double wall? Four Season vs three season? Footprint? Weight? Tunnel vs Free Standing? Want a vestibule? Tougher fabric means more weight. So you have to figure out what is more important to you for the mission you have. I have an ATKO and love it. Can be a little claustrophobic for you head though.

I have a one man Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 that I picked up brand new in a bargain bin. I have never used it except in my yard, but I would say that it would not be bombproof enough for a serious mountain hunt. It is my emergency tent I carry in the boat in the case of an unplanned overnight.

Well i would be using the tent from august to late as october for goat hunt I would say. I currently have a MSR single man and was looking to try and up grade but if I am not droping any weight i may stick with what I got and save the money I guess.

I have a fly creek ul3. It is a good tent for 2 men. It would work quite well for one man. It packs small and only weighs about 3 pounds

Quote Originally Posted by skipper View Post
    Well i would be using the tent from august to late as october for goat hunt I would say. I currently have a MSR single man and was looking to try and up grade but if I am not droping any weight i may stick with what I got and save the money I guess.
    Using a tent that late usually means 4 season... I've got a Bibler Fitzroy (2 man) but the single person version El Dorado is about the same. They also make a slightly lighter version- the Hilight.

I'll deal with some weight for a better grade tent. Some of the really light tents I've seen really push the limit of what I'd call 3 season.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by skipper View Post
    The tent i would take in August would greatly differ from a late october goat hunt. So if your only wanting to buy one tent then your either be stuck with a 4 season heavier tent for august hunts where they maybe aren't needed or stuck with a lightweight 3 season in october when you really need a 4 season.

What msr tent do you have?

I have been using the akto for three years as my go to solo tent. Last year it snowed 10 inches on me in the brooks eight miles from the strip. Tent held up great. Just got back from a Kenai sheep trip and left the Inner tent at home and was presently surprised. Lots of room and half the weight. There is something to be said about the comfort of the inner tent. The best part is having a solo tent that has a vestibule to put your stuff into. Barneys pack and boots with gun all inside the vestibule.

I use big agnes fly creek ul 2 and it takes a beating with wind and rain 3 years In a row. The poles bend in 80+ mile an hour wind but won't break and sighs nothing. I use for one guy and it's a ton of room NAND cozy for 2 people.

the MSR tent I have is the hubba hp

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    I have a one man Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 that I picked up brand new in a bargain bin. I have never used it except in my yard, but I would say that it would not be bombproof enough for a serious mountain hunt. It is my emergency tent I carry in the boat in the case of an unplanned overnight.
    This tent may surprise you. I had mine on top of a mountain in Kodiak (about 4000 ft. elevation) a couple years ago in a serious storm without any kind of a wind break, and although I worried that it was sure to blow apart at any time throughout the night, it never did. I no longer have the tent, as I am currently using a floorless shelter, but for what it's worth, this thing performed amazingly for me. I wouldn't think of putting it up againt a Hilliberg, but for the wt. and price point, it's pretty hard to beat.

Thanks Troutbum. It seems well made for how light it is. I just worried that the fabric is so lightweight that the attachments would rip out. I know the bag that it came it ripped really easily and it seems like the same material.

No doubt it will get a chance in the mountains on my next solo trip. Appreciate the info...

I can't tell you the best, but I can tell you the worst: Eureka Solitaire. Avoid at all costs. Hope that helps you.

Everyone's best will vary. I like my SL 5. Worst weather I've been in was maybe 35-40 with lots of rain, never any worry for the tent. I pack it whether it's me and a partner or just me. If a guy is solo you can throw gear everywhere and anywhere. I use one trekking pole and a section of old graphite salmon rod as an extender so I still have a pole to use if I leave it pitched when hunting. (Rod section weighs essentially nothing and saves 12 oz over carrying the stock pole).