Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: issue with a 329 PD 44 mag

Default issue with a 329 PD 44 mag

This is my 1st post here, so a big "Hi" to everyone. I am as far from Alaskan weather as it can be, as I live in Vegas but I'll trade Vegas for Alaska any day of the week and twice on Sunday. I was born in Europe (American citizen) and sometimes my English is not perfect but I am working on it.
    As I'm going back to backpacking, after many years of being lazy, I figured I may as well look for a "little companion", either in 44 mag, 454 Casull, or a 460 (do-it-all calibers, with a need for + P for the 44 in certain areas). I called a few friends, to see what I could borrow, it had to be a revolver of a big caliber; I have plenty of semi-auto but sold my last revolver a few years ago. Managed to gather a few good ones but could not put my hands on a couple I really wanted to try, which were the Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan (any of the 3 calibers it comes in), or the S&W 460 XVR. As it would be a defense only revolver, mostly used at shorter range, the need for a long barrel was not a priority and the 2.5 or 3" barrels would work well.
    Went to the range with a couple of buddies, last Monday, to test a few 44's, as well as a S&W 500, we had a blast. The 44's were a Ruger Super Redhawk 7.5 inches barrel and two 329 PD 4" barrel, the S&W 500 had an 8.38 barrel.
    We had a variety of ammo for these guns, from mild to semi-hot, all factory ammo, no reloads. We learned a couple of things on that morning; now we are no pros when it comes to powerful revolvers, as we are LR/ELR shooters but hey, we are willing to learn.
    We started with the 500 S&W: no issue whatsoever, the gun is a powerhouse, makes big accurate holes, no malfunction were encountered. Good grips and the gun needs its own zip code, it is big but the pay off of these grips + the size/weight + muzzle compensator is an acceptable recoil. Bullets were in the 300's and 400's grains, so no 500, 600 or 700 but still big enough to take down just about anything.
    Ruger Super Redhawk Double Action 44 mag 7.5": awesome to shoot, smooth, great grips, accurate, the gun was great under all aspects. We were the ones who made a mistake (remember, FNG's) when we decided to alternate, in the cylinder, some mild loads (factory) and some Garrett 44 + P 330 gr Superhardcast long hammerhead. YEAH...some of you may already know what I'm about to say. We started with a mild factory load, no problem, then the next round was one of the Garrett +P, BANG...no problem but you definitely could tell the difference by the amount of recoil. Getting ready to shoot the next round, which was a mild factory load but...jammed. My buddy who owns the Redhawk was speechless, as his gun never jammed before. After inspecting the firearm, we quickly realized what happened. The recoil on the Garrett 330 gr + P rocked the world of the mild factory loads that were in the cylinder and the small crimp of these rounds was not able to keep the bullets in the brass. A couple of them came out and powder was all over the cylinder, maybe we got lucky on that one...so, lesson learned, we cleaned the cylinder, put some more Garrett 330 + P and we were in business again; glad it did not happen in other circumstances.
    Now we were to shoot the two 329 PD 44 mag; I heard a lot about these, light weight, strong recoil, some good reports, some bad ones...now was the time to find out what these were really all about. First impression, it is VERY light, so light that you cannot help smiling, thinking how awesome it would be to carry one of these all day long; you wouldn't even know it is there. The second thought that comes to your mind is how bad the recoil is going to be, as you are still shooting some 230 gr 44 mag.
    Best way to find out was to shoot these things, which we did. The gun is accurate and the recoil is not a killer; we had two 329, one with wood grips and the other one had rubber grips. After shooting both, +1 for the rubber, winner no contest. Too bad the back strap is still exposed but I heard that the grips from the S&W 500 fits on the 329 and make the recoil even easier to handle.
    Now the bad part; we were shooting some 230 gr factory ammo, nothing crazy and something not acceptable happened. As I was shooting double action, the S&W lock suddenly came up and disabled the 329; this actually happened twice within 10 rounds. This could be a fluke, or a mechanical failure specific to this particular revolver I was shooting on that particular day but I have read in other forums about shooters experiencing similar issues with the 329 PD. Some say it is due to the weight and recoil; whatever it is, I do not know but we did witness these two failures and it did not make us feel good about that model. If I was to purchase any S&W, I would get rid of these locks; I let you imagine how much it would suck if this was to happen at the wrong time...no way. For all S&W aficionados and users, I apologize and do not wish to start anything; my gripe is not with these awesome guns, only with that lock system. They are great reliable guns, put down plenty of game and saved many lives in crucial moments when reliability was THE factor but I cannot help remembering feeling that trigger freezing on me, not the best feeling ever.
    Anyway, this was our morning at the range with a few great and powerful hand guns, I wish we would have had a few others, such as the 454 Casull, or a 460 but maybe next time.
    Great hunting and shooting to all.

I forgot to add; please feel free to comment, you won't hurt my feelings if you disagree or set a record straight; as I mentioned, I know a little and do not know a lot.
    Would be curious to know if some encountered similar issue with 329 PD, or have comments on the Ruger Super Blackhawk Alaskan in 44, 454 or 480, as well as the S&W 560XVR.

Quote Originally Posted by Tango down View Post
    ...As I was shooting double action, the S&W lock suddenly came up and disabled the 329....
    I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. Which lock?

Thanks for the write up. You might check out the report on the S&W 69. It's a few oz. lighter than the 629. You're lucky to have had several guns to actually shoot at the same time! All the paper specs. don't compare to having one in your hands and shooting it. And what works for one person feels different for someone else.

I have a 4" S&W 500. It's a heavy gun for "backpacking". The 460 is going to be a heavy gun as well.

I have a soft spot for the 41 mag. We have a 6" 657 that's a dream to shoot. They made the light N frame in 357 form (41 mag.) for a short time. I only saw one and I wasn't bucks up at the time. I'm still pondering the light N frame guns; reports such as yours give me pause.

I don't see any single action Rugers on your list. I only have one SA, .45LC & ACP, as I don't care for the way they feel in my hand, but I recommend trying one before dropping them off the list. I enjoy shooting mine with mid range loads, but like double action guns much more.

Good luck in your search.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. Which lock?
    The "safety" lock S&W uses on most of their revolvers now; here is a link with a good video and article on the subject.
    http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/sm...internal-lock/

I hate the locks, no reason to have them in there . . .

That said I have never had an issue or had one come in that did. They can be removed and there are plugs out there to fill the hole. Being a belt and suspenders type guy I prefer to super glue all integral locks (not just S&W) in the fully unlocked position.

BTW I hate the Marlin and Winchester cross bolt hammer block safeties most of all the stupid lawyer additions.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardC View Post
    Thanks for the write up. You might check out the report on the S&W 69. It's a few oz. lighter than the 629. You're lucky to have had several guns to actually shoot at the same time! All the paper specs. don't compare to having one in your hands and shooting it. And what works for one person feels different for someone else.

I have a 4" S&W 500. It's a heavy gun for "backpacking". The 460 is going to be a heavy gun as well.

I have a soft spot for the 41 mag. We have a 6" 657 that's a dream to shoot. They made the light N frame in 357 form (41 mag.) for a short time. I only saw one and I wasn't bucks up at the time. I'm still pondering the light N frame guns; reports such as yours give me pause.

I don't see any single action Rugers on your list. I only have one SA, .45LC & ACP, as I don't care for the way they feel in my hand, but I recommend trying one before dropping them off the list. I enjoy shooting mine with mid range loads, but like double action guns much more.

Good luck in your search.

Thanks Leonard; I did check the S&W 69, good revolver but I would give an edge to the Super Redhawk, for being able to shoot the + P ammo in 44 cal. (we did like these Garrett 44 + P 330 gr Superhardcast long hammerhead). As I am looking for a one do-it-all caliber, the "regular" 44 mag can use some help in some "unlikely to happen extreme situation" but I rather be safe (kinda) than sorry. Of course, if I knew I was going into an area where a 44 mag + P is "a bit light of a caliber", shotgun and bear spray would bring extra peace of mind but realistically, most of my peregrination will not be in grizz country; I just want to have something adequate for these areas, if/when I get a chance to go there. In all fairness, I must admit that I do like guns, so any reason to buy a new one is always welcome.
    I had an opportunity yesterday to handle a S&S 460V 5" (too bad I could not shoot it, wrong place) and it is a big boy too, same frame as the 500, so probably around the 60 oz mark. I do not know anything about the 41 mag but as it is always good to learn, will look for info.
    I had a few SA, back in Europe and, even though they are great reliable firearms, I left them out of the "wish list" on purpose, as I feel more comfortable with a DA but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    I hate the locks, no reason to have them in there . . .

That said I have never had an issue or had one come in that did. They can be removed and there are plugs out there to fill the hole. Being a belt and suspenders type guy I prefer to super glue all integral locks (not just S&W) in the fully unlocked position.

BTW I hate the Marlin and Winchester cross bolt hammer block safeties most of all the stupid lawyer additions.
    AD, you said it all; the words guns and lawyers do not go well together and all these locks are just another possibility for mechanical failure but then again, that's just my opinion.
    Can't help smiling, thinking of the Duke when hearing about belts and suspenders but as I always like to have a plan B, I 100% agree with you. Without trying to sound too dramatic (even though it sounds good) but theoretically, except when practicing, whenever we are pulling a trigger, something/someone may die, which is not something to take lightly. Could be a hunting situation, which could cost you that big elk that you've been tracking for 3 days (are you kidding?), or that something/someone could be us, a friend/family member, a pet, livestock, etc... in the eventuality of a predator's attack and it this case, who wants a darn lock on their weapon if it may creates a failure to fire???
    We understand there are a few reasons why these locks came into the picture and it would take too long to go through all scenarios but one thing is for sure; no one wants to be mauled, by anything, because a of an unreliable lock. Short anecdote, got attacked by a black panther in Malaysia, back in mid 80's, did not have gun and these cats are darn strong, it felt like punching a wall, so big thanks forever to the guys who jumped in to help; they saved my "private parts" from annihilation but the infection did suck later on. Only a memory now but I think I would have been even more pissed if I would have had a gun and it jammed because of an unreliable lock. BTW, this is one of the reason why I now always carry, within the limits of the law, and the most dangerous predators are often not the 4 legged kind.

I've never had an issue with the lock engaging on my 329pd.
    "Happiness is a warm gun - bang bang, shoot shoot!"
    -Lennon/McCartney

I've heard of the lock popping up with +P type heavy loads. Never had it happen personally.

I really like the 329 and the lock is easy enough to remove.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Nice thing about a real heavy gun...in case that lock acts up you have a handy club in hand to help save your privates. Might be illegal to pistol whip a bear.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I've heard of the lock popping up with +P type heavy loads. Never had it happen personally.

I really like the 329 and the lock is easy enough to remove.
    I'd do that, now that I know of the problem with them. I wouldn't be shooting very hot load is a light gun like that, though.

I don't have a 329. I did consider it, but I heard the recoil was brutal.

What is your take on 329 recoil, hodge?

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I've carried a 329PD Backpacker for several years. It is a delight to carry but shooting is a trade off,especially if you are using it for defense against a bear. I tried to get the heaviest bullet moving at 1000fps. The best I could get was a 265gn beartooth from 950 to 1050fps. Anything heavier or faster it would occasionally jump crimp, usually at the third or fourth shot.

My 329 PD had a lot of problems with the lock as well. I still have the key thingy attached to my shooting bag. I have since removed the lock which is easy. And it doesn't interfere any more.

After a recent encounter with a bear that false charged and got real aggressive, I had doubts during the encounter about the easy to carry model. In fact I've had doubts in the back of my mind from crimp jumps, and wondering if I could get another accurate shot off before the bear could get to me. The recoil is snappy to say the least.

After the close call I went to the PX and bought a Ruger Toklat. I have about 100 rounds through it since I got it a few weeks ago. Which was the only 100 hard cast of this size in the Anchorage bowl! I loaded the starting load for a CP 335 grain hard cast and it should be going about 12-1300 FPS. I was shocked at how mild the recoil was. I'll never go back, the donuts I had during the encounter is something I don't want to be thinking about in that situation. I practiced with the 329 a lot and will do so with the Toklat to know that it will go bang and where it is going.

So as a defense weapon against a bear you can use the easy to carry ,might work, hopefully enough bullet, might get a second shot off mule kicking light fighter or; Your other option would be to use a revolver without a lock, large enough to accurately shoot a heavy enough bullet , fast enough to do the job. If I even remotely think there is a chance for an encounter with a bear I'm taking the bear gun because when it happens it will happen fast and it will far out weigh the convenience of 20 more ounces.

I still like the 329 but it will shoot more traditional loads or maybe a .44 special plinker.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    What is your take on 329 recoil, hodge?

Smitty of the North
    It's stout. Exceptionally so and aside from being a hard kicker, it kicks fast as well. My upper limit is the common 240gr factory loads- any of the hot stuff and you're begging for trouble I'd reckon- either from a lock popping up or bullets jumping crimp....all bad things if you're already having a bear flavored bad thing.

It is very pleasant to carry and hike around with but a frequent shooter it is not. Would a factory 240gr kill a bear? I'd hope so but....
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

It's stout. Exceptionally so and aside from being a hard kicker, it kicks fast as well. My upper limit is the common 240gr factory loads- any of the hot stuff and you're begging for trouble I'd reckon- either from a lock popping up or bullets jumping crimp....all bad things if you're already having a bear flavored bad thing.

It is very pleasant to carry and hike around with but a frequent shooter it is not. Would a factory 240gr kill a bear? I'd hope so but....
    Thanks. My thinking as always been along the same lines as Armymark. Still, the lightweight has appeal.

I would think that a 240 grain Hard Cast bullet at moderate velocity, even slightly above 44 Special, would do a bear in short order, but..... Ya jist can't be that confident bout sich thangs.

My Smith 29 doesn't feel heavy but it does feel Beeg at times. Maybe, because of the Hogue grips, which, BTW, I couldn't do without.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I would think that a 240 grain Hard Cast bullet at moderate velocity, even slightly above 44 Special, would do a bear in short order, but..... Ya jist can't be that confident bout sich thangs.\
    Smitty- I had once upon a time a S&W 696- a 3" barreled, 5 shot 44SPEC on an L Frame. That's been long gone but I'd reckon it'd be a great hiking gun with some hot rodded .44 SPEC hard cast rounds. Not too big, not too heavy. Just right. With the new S&W 69 I got hope we'll see a 3" version with a round butt.

I gotta admit though, I have little confidence in handguns when bears are concerned...a move of last ditch effort, stick the muzzle in its mouth and yank the trigger and hope for the best. For bears I'd rather have a long gun any day of the week.

At the risk of contradicting myself, toting the 329 while hunting with a rifle is fantastic. Laying a rifle down to dress out a critter and yet have the light weight revolver on has been real nice and it goes with Hodge's "stick it in his mouth and keep firing" method, which is about all you might get.

I like the 329, but there are limitations. It's a belly gun for a bear in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by Armymark View Post
    At the risk of contradicting myself, toting the 329 while hunting with a rifle is fantastic. Laying a rifle down to dress out a critter and yet have the light weight revolver on has been real nice and it goes with Hodge's "stick it in his mouth and keep firing" method, which is about all you might get.

I like the 329, but there are limitations. It's a belly gun for a bear in the woods.
    I can see a definite advantage, having it with you even when you have a rifle.

I don't normally carry a handgun beeg enuff for bar, when I'm carrying my rifle.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Have you tried the buffalo bore 255 low recoil round. This is what I carry in my 329.
    "Happiness is a warm gun - bang bang, shoot shoot!"
    -Lennon/McCartney

Quote Originally Posted by hiker View Post
    Have you tried the buffalo bore 255 low recoil round. This is what I carry in my 329.
    Without stirring up the **** in the bucket, I did try the BB. Of the 20 rounds in the box, only 10 fired. The 329 fired all ammo but the BB. It fired Federal, HSM and my hand loads but ten of the 20 BB failed. There was a dent in each primer, BB told me it was my gun and you can find the long drawn out heated thread here if you want to. Bottom line is I'll never use that ammo again. BB told me that the 329 had problems with the firing pin and that I should have it fixed.

For or the record you asked, I didn't bring it up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast