Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What scope for 375 H&H?

Default What scope for 375 H&H?

I am putting together a 375 H&H rifle for brown bear hunt this fall, I am wondering what power scope you all think I should put on. I do know it should be a low power but I would like it to be strong enough to use on a moose hunt one day.

thanks for reading & responding

Default scope

Quote Originally Posted by bradrope View Post
    I am putting together a 375 H&H rifle for brown bear hunt this fall, I am wondering what power scope you all think I should put on. I do know it should be a low power but I would like it to be strong enough to use on a moose hunt one day.

thanks for reading & responding
    I'd go with a 2-7 or 2-8 or something of the sort. I wish I had done that with my 338 instead of the 3-9 that is on it. More importantly, consider a set of detachable Talley mounts for it. I just had that added to the 338. Pop of the scope and you have a peep sight. Great for the wounded bear that gets to the brush. It is a sweet set up.

-Carnivore
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

I just bought my new 375 H&H and I put a Leupold VXII 2X7 on it. It should do great!

I have slowly changed to 2.5 x 8 for most of my rifles including the 375's. Others like less power but I like the ability to go up to 8x when deer or caribou hunting. I think the 2.5x8 VX III is one of the best designed Leupold scopes made for Alaskan hunting. Others will have a different opinion but it's all up to who is writing the check
    Tennessee

Default scope choices

I would go with a VXIII in 1.5-5

I have a 1.5-5 vari x III with the German #4 reticle on my 375. For bears, I think that this set up is hard to beat. Target aquisition is very quick. For an all around scope, Snowwolfe is spot on with the recommendation of the 2.5-8 vari X III. Leupold really nailed it with this scope. The clarity and light gathering ability is incredible. I have the quick release mounts, but don't know that I would ever take the scope off. With the power set at 1.5X and that German #4 reticle, I can put a bullet where I want it faster than with open sights. Good luck!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by robertalbaugh View Post
    Another vote for the 1.5-5 VXIII. That's what I have on my 375.

Default quick detachable scope mounts

Regardless of the scope, I really like my Leupold QR quick detachable scope mounts holding my scope, along with iron sights. The QR system has worked great for me. After removing and reattaching the scope it returns to, or nearly to zero every time.
    Mark

Thumbs up leupold

Leupold vari-X III 1.5-5x20mm

Matte, heavy duplex reticle (thats just my favorite all around reticle for 1.5x in dark woods on big critters cause it's super thick and easy to see)

I can see my own front sight at the end of the barrel with it on 1.5x

A moose at 500 yards appears to be only 100 yards away on 5 x

There may be a better .375 H&H scope out there.....I just ain't found it yet.

jedi

Quote Originally Posted by robertalbaugh View Post
    I second that statement!

- Clint

I use 1.5x-4.5x and 1.5x-6x on all my big game hunting rifles and I have never seen any need for more power.

I have used the 2.5 Burris and Leupolds. Mostly I don't have a scope on a 375.

I have a 4x fixed power Leupold. Works well.

I plan on a 375 for my next rifle and i have a Leupold vari-x II 2x7x33 that I plan to put on it. I sent it to leupold and had them change the recticle to the German #4 . this is my favorite recticle , i have one on a leupold 1.5x5x20 which sits on my BLR. I also think the 1.5x5 would be a good choice.

Leupold's VXlll 1.75-6x32 is an outstading hunting scope for the 375 H&H and with the larger obj., you'll get better light transmission over the 20mm obj.

The 1.5-5, 2.5-8 or 2-7 scopes will all pair well with the 375........All in luppies =).

Grizzly 1 +1 that would be my recommendation also.. The 1.75x6 is a superb scope for bear

Default Scope

If you got a 1.75 x 6 Leupold with a German #4 reticle for your .375 you would have a superb BIG BEAR BUSTER ! That German #4 reticle is a very good hunting reticle once you get used to it. The scope is fast and has plenty of power for practical hunting. How about some Warne or Talley detachable rings and some good quality iron sights?

Default Scope

I have the Leupold 1.75 X 6 on my 375 and 338. It works great. I have used it in low light with good success.

VX-II 2x7. Works great. Remember thick cover and a bullet that is close to a 180 grain 30-06' you don't need super high power.

Ron

Go with a Leupold VX!!!-1.5-5x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast