Thread: saturn 15.5 ft. outfitter/copperhead 10 hp impressions:

Default saturn 15.5 ft. outfitter/copperhead 10 hp impressions:

Today, the Saturn raft dealer and I finally got to test the combo out. We pushed about 15 mph at full throttle. I weigh 200 lbs, the Saturn dealer weighs about 235 lbs. It scooted along just fine. Due to being a fairly narrow craft compared to other inflatables, the prop clears the tubes by about 4 inches. That was really nice to see, that the prop shaft is long enough without no modification to the transom. I'd liked to see 6 inches of clearance though 4 may be sufficient. I don't feel that the 10 hp was too much weight for the transom, but the 12 hp may work too, only being 15 lbs heavier, as this 10 hp was equipped with electric start.

15 ft Kaboat or Zodiak style boat? Did it have enough room to work the tiller, where did you sit sides or in factory seats, or frame? Would think it would be a little faster, my 9.8 does around 20MPH with a 9.8 4 stroke Short Shaft. Do you think stock transom will be sufficent? Take Care Kurt

stock transom should be fine, and yes it was a kaboat. I was able to run the tiller no problem. I guess most of the new ones, are 15.5 foot in length. With that 10hp copperhead, consider it more like a high thrust/high torque delivery. The engine operates at half the speed, and so does the big prop, as opposed to a traditional outboard motor. The 12 hp copperhead would bring a good deal more speed for sure.

OK Mainer. I never did pick up a copperhead before moose season. Want to get ready for next year now. Would your recommend the 10 or 12 hp copperhead for my 15' Kaboat. I think that will be better than a 15 with a lift.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

it all depend on what you want , the type of water you will travel in , the copper herd will be the best for swamps an lots of grass,
    the 10 15 HP with a lift can do a lot also [ I don't like a lift on the SATAN's don't think it will hold up over time like the GRAMMAN 19

SID

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    it all depend on what you want , the type of water you will travel in , the copper herd will be the best for swamps an lots of grass,
    the 10 15 HP with a lift can do a lot also [ I don't like a lift on the SATAN's don't think it will hold up over time like the GRAMMAN 19

SID
    Hi Sid, I think you would be surprised. I think the lift works just as good on the Saturn as the Grumman. However, I think a mud motor would be better for the places I want to go. I'm a little nervous about rocks because I go in some rocky stuff too and I'm not sure how the mud motor would work in that.

The problem with the lift is that I want to be in shallow areas for extended periods. That brings the motor out of the water for to long of a time so that it doesn't pump well enough.

so if I get a mud motor I will probably sell my lift and 15.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

I know what you mean I have melted the plastic housing on my 15HP a couple of times,
    an I know you put a lift on your SATIN but I just don't know how it will hold up over time, MY rig is about 30 years old an doing great
    the KEEL is still stright an true [ no rock dammage ] on my 19 FT. GRUMMAN SID

you have to put some figures on shallow water an is it sallow all the way or just shallow from pot hole to pot hole , some of the thinest water I have run , the stream out of tyone Lake to the big Sue an back , also down the Big Sue from the Del.HY , from the Cantell side as well as up the bid River that crosses the Parks HY. above Trapper creek as well, the Swanson river till there is no water [ rocks ] SID