Thread: First Caribou

Default First Caribou

Last October my wife and I were finally able to live out our dream of moving to Alaska. I submitted my applications for the draw hunts, and was excited to receive the DC608 caribou tag. After a summer of preparing, researching and finding a friend with a strong back to join me, we were ready. We were scheduled to head in on 8/7 so we'd have plenty of time to scout, but mother nature had other plans. After 3+ days of bad weather at our flight base, we were finally able to get in on opening day. Once camp was set up we began scouting for the next morning. We spotted some cows and calves, and 1 good bull that was about 1 1/2 miles from camp. We hit the sack with high hopes for morning. Morning brought overcast skies and pretty strong winds. After a 3/4 mile hike from camp we began glassing. Shortly after, a good bull worked his way out of a drainage below us. He first appeared at 360 yards, and I was able to work down through the rocks and close the distance to 180. With a nice rock pile for cover I set up the tripod and filmed some great footage of him feeding. After about 20 minutes of looking him over, he appeared ready to feed back down out of sight, so it was time to take the shot. With a solid rest and him broadside, the hunt was over. Except that his final kick flipped him over a 15' cliff and he ended up on shelf about 20' above a raging river. This made the butchering process lots of fun. A couple trips to camp and it was time to relax. Our plan was to stay a couple more days and look for black bear, but the weather began to get ugly. A text to the flight service from the Inreach and we were out the next day and processing meat. Thanks to all members of this forum for the help I received on all things Alaska. It truly is a blessing living in this state.
    "One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"
    Jose Ortega y Gasset, Meditations on Hunting.

Beautiful caribou! Congratulations! You definitely have me pumped up for my DC hunt

Excellent trophy and a really nice hunt report. Thanks and congratulations!

Man, what a fantastic first Alaskan hunt! Congratulations to you, and how wonderful that you got to share it with your wife. Excellent!

Nice Bou. Thanks for sharing

WOW...what a great caribou! And you are right, we are BLESSED to live in this state! Congrats and thanks for sharing!
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Nice write up. Congrats on a nice bull for your first Bou. Even better that your wife is your hunting partner. Life is good.

Nice bou! Great way to get settled in this great state.