Thread: DC590 Questions

Talking DC590 Questions

Good Afternoon All,

I am flying out for my DC590 hunt on the 28th of August and returning around Sept 1st. I believe I have my gear list nailed down and have been reading plenty of literature about caribou/hunting caribou. I would have loved to beat feet around my hunting area but unforunately work has kept me tied down and I wasn't able to fly around pre-season. I have hunted for goat/bear before but this will be my first attempt at Caribou and I cannot tell you how excited I am to get out there! If anyone has any tips for this area or for caribou in general I would greatly appreciate them.

Thanks!

Take seasoning and instant mashed potatoes in your fav flavoring. Enjoy a caveman style meal in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdstrike View Post
    Take seasoning and instant mashed potatoes in your fav flavoring. Enjoy a caveman style meal in the field.
    I love this type of meal for hunting trips...easy, light weight. Yum! Montreal Steak Seasoning for the 'fresh game', and any of the Idahoan instant potatoes...don't need milk or butter.

track - I hope you find the bull you are looking for...There are some good ones in that draw area! Oh, and have a sheep tag handy...you might just find yourself watching caribou and sheep at the same time, if you are hunting high.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Quote Originally Posted by Birdstrike View Post
    Sounds fantastic. I'll make sure to add that to my repertoire.

JuliW -
    I will definitely have the sheep/beer/moose tags hand! I would love to make it a combo hunt

Any further recommendations? I really appreciate all of the tips/well wishes. Slated to fly out Thursday afternoon

How did you do on your hunt?

Quote Originally Posted by Track1202 View Post
    Any further recommendations? I really appreciate all of the tips/well wishes. Slated to fly out Thursday afternoon

Mcnejs,

I ended up seeing a solid bull and two cows about 2 hours after I was dropped off. Unfortunately I didn't see another caribou for the rest of my trip!

Ended up having beautiful weather the entire time, so cannot complain at all

Hello all..

It's tag time again and I'm looking at putting my 15 YO son for this DC590 hunt. Close to home, possible winter hunt, what's not to like? Only issue is not sure I've ever seen caribou in this area and not sure about accessibility. Are all the boo fly in only trips? Are there animals closer to snow machine range (if we get snow)? Where would one start some recon to decide if this is an accessible hunt for the boy?
    Thanks

Flying in its the easiest way, you might be able to get a jet boat up there if you're lucky. It had never opened fire the winter season that I can remember.

Call the palmer office for more specifics

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the quick reply Cowboy..

The Supplement has a Dec1 - Mar 15 season date with it so maybe it's only opened by EO so I was just thinking maybe we can get in later in the season. I have a Jet ranger (Small inflatable with Jet unit made for shallow rivers) I might try then.. Do you know which river leads to animals? It looks like Iron creek, Sheep Creek, Sheep River, or even the Kashwitna may provide some opportunity?

Quote Originally Posted by bharbour View Post
    The Supplement has a Dec1 - Mar 15 season date with it so maybe it's only opened by EO so I was just thinking maybe we can get in later in the season.
    I could be wrong, but I think that winter season is a new addition to that hunt. I think that in years past there was only a fall season.

Quote Originally Posted by bharbour View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply Cowboy..

The Supplement has a Dec1 - Mar 15 season date with it so maybe it's only opened by EO so I was just thinking maybe we can get in later in the season. I have a Jet ranger (Small inflatable with Jet unit made for shallow rivers) I might try then.. Do you know which river leads to animals? It looks like Iron creek, Sheep Creek, Sheep River, or even the Kashwitna may provide some opportunity?
    Your best bet is to fly in. Those rivers will only go so far then peter out.
    Most bou are up much higher and are "typically" away from any of the rivers that you mentioned..
    Or wait and try to snow machine in later on in the season..

This is the first year for the winter season. You can boat up fly in or take a wheeler. Dec1 - Mar 15 the rivers going to be frozen but I'm sure you know that . Im guessing you meant for the early season
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!