Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Seward silvers in September?

  1. #1
    Member Hunt&FishAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Valley trash
    Posts
    2,316

    Default Seward silvers in September?

    Got a combo charter booked for sep 7. What are the chances of still gettin into a good silver bite? Seems late but hopefully someone can give me some hope? Thanks!



    Release Lake Trout

  2. #2
    Member SkinnyRaven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    320

    Default

    If you are talking about the Seward area. I think all the rough weather in the gulf the two weeks of the derby has got them all scattered and have yet to regroup as of this past weekend. Anything can happen, I plan to make another trip maybe even later than the 7th.

    07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Seward
    Posts
    77

    Default

    We find our best fishing of the season is in early to mid September.

    The head of the bay, and along both shorelines is very productive. In the afternoon the water is calmest on the east shoreline so thats where we head.

    The fish are generally shallower than earlier in the season, we fish downriggers as shallow as 30'.

  4. #4
    Member Hunt&FishAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Valley trash
    Posts
    2,316

    Default

    Thanks for the replies, and encouraging posts! We are going out with Rogue charters. Anyone have experience with them?



    Release Lake Trout

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Seward
    Posts
    279

    Default

    I was fishing off of Granite Island the other day, between bad weather days, and there were plenty of boats and large silvers.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Butte, Ak
    Posts
    118

    Default

    Sorry if this is a repeat post, my 7 month old starting hitting the keyboard while I was typing and the ole' mac had a melt down...

    Anyway, its encouraging to see the silver bite stays on into September. Is it worth heading out to Day Harbor or Pony or stay in the bay? I have been doing well fishing to the East out of the bay. Weather looks decent for mid week this week so I'll be heading down in a day or so

  7. #7
    Member SkinnyRaven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    320

    Default

    It's been about ten days since I was down last. We caught them as far out as Granit Island. I don't you'll need to go far but would expect you could find them most anywhere you go now.

    07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

  8. #8

    Default

    Silvers are very thick just outside of the harbor mouth right now...and they are large!


    Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff


  9. #9
    Member FishGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fishing your hole before you get there
    Posts
    1,948

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    Silvers are very thick just outside of the harbor mouth right now...and they are large!
    Silvers are STACKED at the culvert on the beach at this moment.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

  10. #10
    Member Hunt&FishAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Valley trash
    Posts
    2,316

    Default

    Dammit and I'm stuck at work till Friday night!!!! Hope they stick around!



    Release Lake Trout

  11. #11
    Member FishGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fishing your hole before you get there
    Posts
    1,948

    Default

    Hey parents, don't forget about the Seward area "Youth-Only" fishery September 5-7th. Page 58 bottom right of the SC regulation book. There is already a CRAP load of silvers in the lagoon outfall stream.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

  12. #12
    Member FishGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fishing your hole before you get there
    Posts
    1,948

    Default

    Even more incentive to bring the kids down this weekend!

    YOUTH-ONLY FISHING DAYS AT THE SEWARD LAGOON THIS WEEKEND, SEPTEMBER 5-7
    The Seward Lagoon and lagoon outfall stream will be open to coho (silver) salmon fishing for youth anglers, from 12:01 a.m. Friday, September 5 through 11:59 p.m. Sunday, September 7. This youth-only fishery is open only to anglers 15 years or younger. For this weekend, the harvest limit has been increased to 6 fish per day and in possession. Youth fisheries were established by the Alaska State Legislature and implemented by the Alaska Board of Fisheries to provide additional opportunity for young people to go fishing.

    Over 200,000 coho salmon smolt were stocked in the Seward Lagoon in 2013. Healthy smolt from the William Jack Hernandez Sport Fish Hatchery and better than anticipated marine survival are resulting in strong returns to the beaches of Seward and the Seward Lagoon. The lagoon and stream leading to the lagoon are open by regulation this weekend only to youth anglers age 15 and younger, and are closed to all fishing the remainder of the year.

    An evaluation of fishing conditions prior to this youth-only fishery estimated that there were over 1,000 coho salmon in the stream leading into the Seward Lagoon, with many additional fish already in the lagoon. Therefore, young anglers should have a good chance catching coho salmon.

    For this weekend, in response to the large number of surplus hatchery coho salmon, the harvest limit is 6 fish per day and in possession. A single-hook with bait or a single-hook artificial lure with or without bait may be used. Multiple or treble hooks are not allowed in the Seward Lagoon or outfall stream. Snagging is also not allowed in the lagoon or outfall stream and all snagged fish need to be released immediately.

    The waters of the Seward Lagoon and outfall stream remain closed to all fishing the remainder of the year and closed to fishing for other species during this youth-only fishery. For current regulations, consult page 58 of the Southcentral Alaska regulations book.
    Good luck!

    For more information, contact Fisheries Biologist Jay Baumer in Anchorage at (907) 267-2265.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

  13. #13
    Member coho slayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,852

    Default

    We will be headed that way tomorrow afternoon, 9-year old in tow. Thanks for posting the youth fishery. He should get a kick out of that. Will report results as I can.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    Even more incentive to bring the kids down this weekend!

    YOUTH-ONLY FISHING DAYS AT THE SEWARD LAGOON THIS WEEKEND, SEPTEMBER 5-7
    The Seward Lagoon and lagoon outfall stream will be open to coho (silver) salmon fishing for youth anglers, from 12:01 a.m. Friday, September 5 through 11:59 p.m. Sunday, September 7. This youth-only fishery is open only to anglers 15 years or younger. For this weekend, the harvest limit has been increased to 6 fish per day and in possession. Youth fisheries were established by the Alaska State Legislature and implemented by the Alaska Board of Fisheries to provide additional opportunity for young people to go fishing.

    Over 200,000 coho salmon smolt were stocked in the Seward Lagoon in 2013. Healthy smolt from the William Jack Hernandez Sport Fish Hatchery and better than anticipated marine survival are resulting in strong returns to the beaches of Seward and the Seward Lagoon. The lagoon and stream leading to the lagoon are open by regulation this weekend only to youth anglers age 15 and younger, and are closed to all fishing the remainder of the year.

    An evaluation of fishing conditions prior to this youth-only fishery estimated that there were over 1,000 coho salmon in the stream leading into the Seward Lagoon, with many additional fish already in the lagoon. Therefore, young anglers should have a good chance catching coho salmon.

    For this weekend, in response to the large number of surplus hatchery coho salmon, the harvest limit is 6 fish per day and in possession. A single-hook with bait or a single-hook artificial lure with or without bait may be used. Multiple or treble hooks are not allowed in the Seward Lagoon or outfall stream. Snagging is also not allowed in the lagoon or outfall stream and all snagged fish need to be released immediately.

    The waters of the Seward Lagoon and outfall stream remain closed to all fishing the remainder of the year and closed to fishing for other species during this youth-only fishery. For current regulations, consult page 58 of the Southcentral Alaska regulations book.
    Good luck!

    For more information, contact Fisheries Biologist Jay Baumer in Anchorage at (907) 267-2265.
    would you happen to know if you can assist the kids in holding the rod while they reel? i would like my 5 yr old take a whack at hooking a silver in the lagoon tomorrow.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Seward
    Posts
    279

    Default

    This is about getting the kids involved and successfully catching fish. I bet a 5 yr old will need some help reeling in a fish so I say go for it.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akpolaris View Post
    This is about getting the kids involved and successfully catching fish. I bet a 5 yr old will need some help reeling in a fish so I say go for it.
    Is the youth fishery a yearly thing or opened up due to a strong return? Id love to get my kids out there but had to work this weekend.

  17. #17
    Member coho slayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,852

    Default

    I think k it's a yearly thing. It had been planned, but due to the large numbers of fish they increased the limit from two fish to six.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    55

    Default

    Any new reports from the harbor/beach area? Thinking of making one more run this season.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage and Seward
    Posts
    506

    Default

    Saw a guy bring in a near limit catch for two at the cleaning table from the beach yesterday. He said they were in small schools and must have got them on the incoming tide mostly since we were at the cleaning table about an hour and half past high tide.

  20. #20
    Member coho slayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,852

    Default

    Headed down tomorrow to give it another go. I work with a guy on the slope that lives in Seward, and he just got up to work last Friday. He said fishing was still good, then sent his wife down to watch. She confirmed they are still getting them at the creek outlet snagging. To further confirm, talked to the Fish House and another person I know who works one of the hotels and they both still confirm good fishing. Not as hot, but still worth a weekend if you need some meat for the freezer. We'll see how it goes...I kind of hate snagging, but I had little time to fish this year. Post a fresh report tomorrow night if there's anything worth reporting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •