Thread: Whittier halibut/rockfish info please.

Default Whittier halibut/rockfish info please.

Looking to head out this Friday to the Perry/Lone/Naked Island areas. Can anyone share the latest fishing report? We have a 19' Viking w/130 Honda, halfway down Knight Island is within our fuel range too. Will in turn share our success(??) story next week. Much appreciated! WW

Default Mixed Results

Wes, I tried the S and SE sides Perry Island in about 250-300' of water with no luck. We had very limited success just S of Eshamy Bay (only a few fish). We didn't run into "fun" numbers of 'butts until we went all the way out to Latouche. Fishing was excellent there, with a 60#, a bunch of #30 and #40's. Burned up a lot of fuel, but the fishing was great down there. We did OK for rockfish down there, and actually caught two 25# 'buts on the light rods I use for silvers.

Shrimpin' was good out at Shotgun, Blackstone and Cochrane bays. Good luck, and safe boating!

SH

thanks a lot Sierra Hotel, very helpful. How was the weather? Have you ever tried around Naked, Eleanor, Ingot Islands? I would love to go to Latouche but I don't think we have the range.
    How about Unakwik Inlet, Eaglek Bay, Esther Passage, etc. on the north of the Sound? You don't hear so much about them, perhaps there's a reason...

We were there 2 weekends ago. Shrimping was ok, some bad sets/bait issues etc. but I can't complain really. Still trying some different things while trying to insure some tasty morsels. Never caught any yellow eye but we limited between 6 of us the 2nd day and could have if we tried harder the 1st day. Caught a couple of nice lings and had to let them go, not time to retain them yet All in all it was a good weekend but we didn't try to get any butts. We were fishing mostly in 150'-200' of water against the rocks. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Walker View Post
    thanks a lot Sierra Hotel, very helpful. How was the weather? Have you ever tried around Naked, Eleanor, Ingot Islands? I would love to go to Latouche but I don't think we have the range.
    How about Unakwik Inlet, Eaglek Bay, Esther Passage, etc. on the north of the Sound? You don't hear so much about them, perhaps there's a reason...
    Wes, I haven't tried those areas, but I will as I get around the sound more!

Last weekend, the weather was great on Sat and Sun, but we waited a little to leave the harbor (10 am) on Sun as we were waiting out some high winds. 60's, sunny, glassy water until the wind kicked up Sun afternoon, but very manageable.

This weekend, maybe a little north of Latouche, maybe Chenaga.

See you on the water!

Cheers,

SH

Thanks again for the help guys. Sierra Hotel, is that the name of your boat also? Perhaps we will see you, I will recognize you from your avatar. My buddy's boat is not named, but is a white fiberglass Viking with 130 honda. We hope to be on the water approx. Fri. noon, then gunkhole in a cove and fish Saturday, back to Whittier that night. Good fishing and safe trip to all! WW

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Walker View Post
    Thanks again for the help guys. Sierra Hotel, is that the name of your boat also? Perhaps we will see you, I will recognize you from your avatar. My buddy's boat is not named, but is a white fiberglass Viking with 130 honda. We hope to be on the water approx. Fri. noon, then gunkhole in a cove and fish Saturday, back to Whittier that night. Good fishing and safe trip to all! WW
    Wes, it is the name of my boat. It's still too new to have AK numbers yet, and I haven't ordered the lettering for the boat name. Give a shout out for Sierra Hotel on 16, I'll prolly be out there. Be safe, kill fish, and eat their dead bodies!

SH

Heading to Unakwik area on Saturday, staying till Monday. We will be staying in the Granite Bay area. 21' Blue Soft-Top Searunner with a 150hp Yamaha.

I have never been in that part of the sound before so it seems like a good place to go.

Sierra Hotel, we will keep an ear and eye out for you. Freeze, we anchored up one night last July in Granite Bay and it was a good stay. Did not fish, just slept.

Red face navigationally challenged

Ooops, my bad. We did not stay in the Granite Bay near Unakwik Inlet. We were in the one on Knight Island Passage between Eshamy Bay and Paddy Bay. Anyone want to share real time fishing info PM me a channel you like and we will monitor it.

I think there are at least 3 granite bays in PWS.

I have found a few places to pick up rockfish, but nothing good for halibut.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I see at least two Granite Bay's, a Granite Point and a Granite Cove. Man they were really creative on those names. We will be in the one in Unakwik area.