Thread: Whitworth 375 H&H value?

Default Whitworth 375 H&H value?

What are the Whitworths going for now? Unfortunately I may have to sell mine. It has a Krieger barrel, bedded factory walnut stock, Lyman rec sight and NECG barrel band sling mount. The action and barrel were cryo'ed also. Due to a back and shoulder injury I may need to sell it to stay financially viable.

If you're talking about the Interarms MK X .375 Whitworths, stock rifles seem to go between $550-$750 depending on the condition. You have added value to the rifle, but is it something somebody else wants?
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Yes, valid points in any used gun situation.

Is there a difference between the Whitworths and the Mk X's? I thought there were differences, the Whitworths being the classic British styled wood stocked guns, the Mk X's being more American styled and some in synthetic stocks perhaps? I'm asking, I don't know.

YES....They are different.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Yes, valid points in any used gun situation.

Is there a difference between the Whitworths and the Mk X's? I thought there were differences, the Whitworths being the classic British styled wood stocked guns, the Mk X's being more American styled and some in synthetic stocks perhaps? I'm asking, I don't know.

I picked up my mark x for $450 at a gun show about 7 years ago, I'd put yours somewhere in the 700-900 range without seeing it.

As mentioned your changes will be worth more to a few people and less to others.

I personally won't buy a used gun that's been altered, but others do all the time and get great guns!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 3 Mark Xs, two are Whitworths. As I understand it the Whitworths were assembled in England and mine have very good adjustable triggers. The standard Mark Xs were built completely in Yugoslavia. I understand the urge to customize, my first one that I bought was in .30-06 and now is .338-06 and the second I bought cause it was already a custom gun-just the way I wanted! The third is a standard .300 WM which is going to be a .375 Ruger.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

I didn't really choose to customize. When I bought it, it had been rechambered to 375 Weatherby, and had been put in a hideous thumbhole stock. Having seen few for sale, and the price being reasonable for the condition, I decided it was worth working with. I found an original stock at a gunsmith, and had it rebarreled with a good barrel and the bedding work and other things done at the same time. It does have the nice adjustable trigger, its factory I think. Its pretty simple looking, but works well.

Mine has just Whitworth markings, and Manchester England, with the CZ markings for the receiver origin I guess. The floorplate release is inside the trigger guard. I've seen some with it on the side. I thought those were Mk X's, but am not positive.

Wish this was a year ago - I was looking for one like yours. Many Whitworths have the express rear sight, which your's lacks. But with a Kreiger barrel and the very nice stock, you should get a premium. Still, they seem to go for around $850, +/-.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=436110013

If it shoots nice tiny groups, put a picture of that with your gun if you try to sell it. With a Kreiger, it should.

At this point I'm not able to shoot it. When I've shot if before, I rough zero'ed it and was mainly plinking at rocks and steel plates, so no targets to show. I had thought about loading some lighter loads for it, but haven't so far. The factory Whitworths I've shot have shot pretty well. I'd be very surprised if this one wasn't better than average of factory guns.

I have several things damaged in my right shoulder from a fall. Waiting on surgery, unable to work enough, and piling up med bills.

The guy that did the rebarrel likes Krieger barrels. He uses them for varmint guns and recommended it when I wanted to rebarrel it back to standard H&H cal.

I appreciate the comments guys.

I had forgotten when I posted before. I don't know how much it will affect anyone elses thoughts on it, or value. The stock had a hairline crack at an angle behind the rear tang. I'm not sure how it happened, perhaps before I had the stock, as its been bedded all the time I've owned it after handing the gunsmith all the parts. I think he used Devcon to bed it. I didn't notice the hairline when first handing it, but once I saw it had him repair it. It was repaired with a brass repair rod. It looked like a threaded rod, pre-drilled and run into the hole, then cut off and filed flush. The 'smith said it shouldn't cause any trouble. It's been OK since I've had it, but I've never shot it much. The repair rod can be seen in the pic of the left side, right above the wrist checkering. The tang doesn't contact the wood, which puzzled me how it happened.

Pretty gun, wish I had a reason to own another one! The boxes of old ammo are really cool!