Thread: The .22, what a hoot to shoot!

Talking The .22, what a hoot to shoot!

I wonder how many .22 rim fires a guy needs. I just counted mine and I have 9 total. 5 are long guns and 4 are hand guns. I have a couple of semi auto rifles, a couple of single shots and my favorite, an old tack driving Belgium made Browning T-Bolt. I have an old .S&W 22/34 Kit Gun that is lots of fun, a Ruger 22/45 Lite, a little Jennings .22 that always goes bang when I pull the trigger and fits in the pocket for a night at the movies, and an old High Standard o/u derringer that is a real challenge to hit with. I foolishly sold my old 1970's Ruger Single Six and a couple of 4 and 6 inch K Frames many years ago, woe is me. My most enjoyable times shooting have been with the lowly .22. I bought 4 of my grand children .22 rifles and pretty soon we will be chasing grouse. I think I need maybe one more .22.........

I don't know how many .22's a guy needs...... I've never stopped to think about it. Personally I have 5 rifles and 2 pistols. My oldest son has 2 rifles and my youngest has both a pistol and a rifle and that's only the .22's! Is that two many? I'm still keeping my eyes open for a good deal on a .22/.410.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

Its a "man law"written somewhere that you must always keep 22's in even numbers - I am pretty sureSo if'n ya have 9 338, you def need to be lookin for another... I had a very nice Colt Diamonback 22 I sure wish I still owned...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Bird Brain View Post
    I don't know how many .22's a guy needs...... I've never stopped to think about it. Personally I have 5 rifles and 2 pistols. My oldest son has 2 rifles and my youngest has both a pistol and a rifle and that's only the .22's! Is that two many? I'm still keeping my eyes open for a good deal on a .22/.410.
    Gun broker usually has several at any one time, I have one and I would now like a few of the other combos, starting with .223/12ga

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    I wonder how many .22 rim fires a guy needs. I just counted mine and I have 9 total. 5 are long guns and 4 are hand guns. I have a couple of semi auto rifles, a couple of single shots and my favorite, an old tack driving Belgium made Browning T-Bolt. I have an old .S&W 22/34 Kit Gun that is lots of fun, a Ruger 22/45 Lite, a little Jennings .22 that always goes bang when I pull the trigger and fits in the pocket for a night at the movies, and an old High Standard o/u derringer that is a real challenge to hit with. I foolishly sold my old 1970's Ruger Single Six and a couple of 4 and 6 inch K Frames many years ago, woe is me. My most enjoyable times shooting have been with the lowly .22. I bought 4 of my grand children .22 rifles and pretty soon we will be chasing grouse. I think I need maybe one more .22.........
    To bad it looks like the .22 is on it's way to becoming obsolete with out ammo to shoot...

Quote Originally Posted by mekaniks View Post
    To bad it looks like the .22 is on it's way to becoming obsolete with out ammo to shoot...

Its stayin on the shelves longer than ya think.

People were walking past it on the shelves (me included) last weekend at bass pro. Several different varieties as well...

Quote Originally Posted by shimano 33 View Post
    Its stayin on the shelves longer than ya think.

People were walking past it on the shelves (me included) last weekend at bass pro. Several different varieties as well...
    Glad to hear. I haven't seen any on a shelf for over a year.

I saw .22's on the shelf at Sportsmans in Soldotna last week. It was a package deal you bought a rifle cleaning kit and can of oil it came with a bulk pack of .22's (325 count I believe) for something like $30. They also had 50 count boxes of CCI for $4.99 I passed on both because I still refuse to pay more than .05 a round. I was in Bass pro last Wednesday at 10 am they had Federal 325 bulk packs canned in nitrogen for long term storage for $17.99 a can so I picked 1 up. I went pack at 5:30 and they were out.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

You can't have too many .22's. They are all more fun than a box o' rocks. I won't list all of mine, but suffice to say that I don't think I've met a 22 that I didn't want to try, or own. Until the 22LR ammo issue became the driving factor, there was never an issue. I ran into a family at the range the other day who owned 99 22's and 17's. Gotta admire that.

Quote Originally Posted by mekaniks View Post
    Just got back from one of the big sporting good stores in Anchorage and they had a few dozen .22 LR boxes lying around. I picked up a box of 100 CCI LR. This is my sixth purchase in two months of .22 LR at this store. They seem to have them around lunch time 11:00-1:00 pm, but times outside of that they are sold out.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

If i had all the 22's i would still be short a few