Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting the Kandik questions.

Default Hunting the Kandik questions.

So I'm looking at heading to the Kandik for moose this year I plan on putting in at Eagle and cruising down till the Kandik. I've been doing some looking and I've been seeing that the river seems kinda ruff for a jet boat with 3 mile reef and a few other obstacles I have a 18 ft Allweld with a tunnel hope that should be small enough to get around everything. Is the river pretty doable or should I maybe look at the Nation or the Tatunduk?? Also I don't really want to be where there is going to be any combat hunting, is there a lot of people that hunt that area? Any info would be great the only stuff I could find was a few years old now. thanks

Homesteaders live in that area, together with the lower reaches of many tributaries in that part of the state. Hunting is very iffy (moose density is very low), and you are competing with locals. Not a good combination.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I have a friend that lives up the Kandik, the river made some dramatic course changes this spring. Low moose numbers and the only way to really get up to where they are is with a canoe or longtail surface drive. I would look for another option.

One of the many boulder gardens.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I know a guy that hunt the area, if you email me and I will give you his name.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Homesteaders live in that area, Hunting is very iffy (moose density is very low), and you are competing with locals. Not a good combination.

-Mike
    Just where in this state, Mike, does one NOT compete with locals? How many urban guys go down the Yukon and up the Koyukuk and how many of those guys PAID you for information, Mike?
    Just because ONE couple (that's right...........a whole 2 people) live up the Kandik NO ONE else in the state should hunt there? Doesn't that attitude kinda put you and Larry about out of business, Mike?

gonyo, probably not the best Moose pop up there. Also difficult to get very far up the river. But don't let the guys supposedly protecting a WHOLE drainage for just 2 people (man and wife) deter you from going there. Talk to the area bio and see what he says.
    Oh........rumor has it that if you can get up the Tatondek and climb on to the ridge tops, there might be some fannin sheep up there.
    Good luck where ever you go, gonyo.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Just where in this state, Mike, does one NOT compete with locals? How many urban guys go down the Yukon and up the Koyukuk and how many of those guys PAID you for information, Mike?
    Just because ONE couple (that's right...........a whole 2 people) live up the Kandik NO ONE else in the state should hunt there? Doesn't that attitude kinda put you and Larry about out of business, Mike?

gonyo, probably not the best Moose pop up there. Also difficult to get very far up the river. But don't let the guys supposedly protecting a WHOLE drainage for just 2 people (man and wife) deter you from going there. Talk to the area bio and see what he says.
    Oh........rumor has it that if you can get up the Tatondek and climb on to the ridge tops, there might be some fannin sheep up there.
    Good luck where ever you go, gonyo.
    Wow, Mike. Was that really necessary? And your questions contradict each other... oh well.

To clarify (in case it is needed) yes, I am a commercial hunt planner, and yes, I do make an effort to place hunters away from areas where they will hunt on top of homesteaders. I also try to keep my hunters off of guided and unguided hunters, wherever possible. It's not always possible, because we don't always know where other folks will be, but we do try. Whether or not those recommendations will put me out of business remains to be seen. I *THINK* my hunters (and the homesteaders and other hunters) appreciate it.

Regarding what kind of information hunters pay me for, I think you misunderstand what I do. The core of my hunt planning service is mentoring and helping them develop local connections. Each group is different, but on the average we spend between 30 and 60 hours together from start to finish. By the time we finish our first hunt together, most of them do not need me anymore. However, on the off chance that they might need additional assistance in the future, I charge a flat fee up front and subsequent hunts, regardless of how many, are free. You can read more about it AT THIS LINK. The mentoring and connecting components are featured prominently there.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Thanks guys for all the info. Kinda a bummer that there is low numbers out that way. It does seem nice though that there shouldnt be many people other than the locals. I was born and raised in the area and my family knows a few people up in that area so the locals don't really concern me I was just hopping people from all over dont come out that way. Me and the old man were also talking about going up the charlie for caribou for a day try and get lucky heard it is just beautiful up that way. Michael Strahan forgive me if this is not a question youd like to answer but do you drop people off out that way? if you do are they just dropped a lot farther up river? Thanks again guys were still going out there for a week even if there is low numbers both me and my dad have been here way to long to have never been out that way.

Interesting idea. Beautiful country, but a moose hot spot it is not.

If you're going to bust up a boat to get into good hunting you can do a lot better than the Kandik IMHO.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Hodgeman any nice ideas around that area I'm open for anything the big reason I picked up there is because of work I need a hunt that is open till the 25th not the short hunts.

Quote Originally Posted by gonyo View Post
    Hodgeman any nice ideas around that area I'm open for anything the big reason I picked up there is because of work I need a hunt that is open till the 25th not the short hunts.
    You can't get PMs yet but I sent you an email.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

... Michael Strahan forgive me if this is not a question youd like to answer but do you drop people off out that way?
    For obvious reasons I prefer not to discuss where my groups hunt. But I am very careful with distributing them and trying to make sure that they get the kind of hunt they want. Some groups are very capable of hunting rivers with a bit more pressure, because of the information they bring into the field with them; in such cases I will let them know what to expect in terms of pressure, and some opt to dive in. And they make it work. The majority of course want to be in a place teeming with game that they have all to themselves. That's not a realistic expectation, and we work through that.

That said, I would never put a group on the Kandik, for the reasons I mentioned earlier. Never have, and cannot imagine why I ever would. So I am not trying to steer you away because of some benefit I get out of it. I'm just being straight with you.

Regards,

-Mike

Thanks hodgeman appreciate the info.
    So do I have a pretty good understanding that the whole lower 25B is pretty mooseless? or is it just not feasable to get to the moose in a jet boat?

Thanks hodgeman appreciate the info.
    So do I have a pretty good understanding that the whole lower 25B is pretty mooseless? or is it just not feasable to get to the moose in a jet boat?
    You need to call the area biologist for this information. All of the area biologist info can be found on the site here, together with a ton of other hunt planning resources. Here is the link to our HUNT PLANNING SECTION, which contains all of that information. That's why we put it there; questions like this come up all the time.

-Mike

Also any info on the nation river??

OK Mike thanks I appreciate the straight forward answer.

With all due respect, you are working this backwards. You need to research these places using the tools on this site (in my previous link). If you follow that process, you will know the available species, population density, habitat quality, challenges of hunting the area, hunting pressure (including guide pressure), seasons, issues pertaining to the river (mileage, gradient, access points, campsite availability, known hazards, etc), and tons more. If you're basing your entire hunt on a recommendation from our forums, you're probably headed for a very expensive camping trip!

Check our MASTER RIVER LIST PAGE for a listing of several hundred river systems and the reference materials that feature those rivers. If your river is not on this list, I am not aware of a printed or DVD resource on it.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way; in the long run you are better off learning how to fish than just being handed a fish...

Just my .02

-Mike

Thanks for the info martentrapper.
    Mike ive been looking through your website a lot and I'm having a hard time getting through some of the links a lot of them ive me a "404 error". there is a lot of good info on it ive been reading i just like to talk to people about the stuff to i'm not basing a decision on any one source. i plan on calling the bio in my area see what they have to say and ask around the Tok area i know a few people there that hunt all the way up the taylor.
    Thanks for all the info guys I do like talking this stuff out.

...I'm having a hard time getting through some of the links a lot of them ive me a "404 error". there is a lot of good info on it ive been reading i just like to talk to people about the stuff to i'm not basing a decision on any one source...
    Sorry about that! We just updated the site and that page slipped through with some bad links. Everything should be working fine now though. Here you go- OUR HUNT PLANNING PAGE. This page is designed to provide you with all the info you need in order to get started planning your own hunt.

If anyone finds dead links anywhere in the main site, please let me know and we will fix them. We are in the process of hunting them down right now. Thanks for your patience!

-Mike

I had a buddy who owned a house in Eagle and had done plenty hunting in the area while living there. This was a little over 20 years ago. We went up to Eagle to moose hunt and hunted several days on the Yukon without seeing moose. I had a 16 ft. River Runner and the locals admired the outboard jet unit and told us if they had this boat, they'd hunt the Nation. We did as suggested and made a trip up the Nation, found a place to camp and called it a day. I have no idea how many miles we were upriver. The next morning while making coffee, I heard brush crashing on the other side of the river. A few minutes later a 50" bull appeared down river and started to cross. I waited until he was on the bank and shot him. We loaded him into the boat along with our gear and started back down the river to the Yukon. Problem was, the water had dropped overnight and we didn't get far before hitting a gravel bar that extended all the way across the river. The impact ripped the foot off my lower unit and only the grate bars kept us from losing it. We spent the next four days lining and pulling my boat downriver. By the time we hit the Yukon we were both beat half to death but ran into a couple other guys who took me to Eagle to have the local welder weld the foot well enough to get the moose and our gear back to Eagle. I spent the next month replacing rivets. Personally, I've had my fill of the Nation and river running. Would I like to go back someday? Heck yes, just not in my boat! I've been running jet units since I was sixteen so this wasn't my first rodeo.

If you decide to give the Nation a try, keep in mind, the water level can drop an unbelievable amount over night. What was good running one day may not be so good the next, especially in the fall. The pictures posted of the Kandik remind me a lot of the Nation.

This was my experience, others may have a different take on it.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Doug thanks for the info. Sounds like one hell of a trip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast