Thread: Help with oars

Default Help with oars

Hi everyone, I have a Levitator and am looking for some advice when it comes to oars. Should I go with 9 or 9 1/2 ft oars? I know that is all up to the person who is rowing. I have 8ft oars now and I think that they will be to small. Also, should I go with the one piece or two piece breakdown type? Keep in mind that I will need to fit them into a 170 or 185. Thanks

Default 15-16 ft 9-10ft Oars

If you have break down oars which I am under the assumption you do just purchase oar extenders from AR&K in Anchoarge or Blue Moose Rafting in Fairbanks. Will take you to 9 1/2ft which is fine ofr a 15/16ft boat. Oar extenders are 1 ft Long. That being said I take you you have an oar saddle. If not and you have a NRS break Down Frame then alos look at the height of your oar lock system if 6 inch go up to 8 inch NRS which will also help.

Tight Lines and Best Wishes

Richard Mousseau
    www.bluemooserafting.com
    Blue Moose Rafting Sales & Outfitting
    907-460-7758

Default Oar extenders

If you are in the Anchorage area I have two almost unused pairs of oar extenders that have been sitting in my shed for far too long - both yellow and blue. They are Carlisle one foot types that work on either breakdown or with one piece types. They also can work on Cataract brand oars, but might add an odd heft to composite shafts. $25 if you want a pair.

I prefer one piece oar shafts. They still fit inside small planes, and are a bit stronger. I have snapped breakdown oar shafts when pulling against a rock. They break right at the joint, and ruin the upper section.

Anybody have a clever way to fix these old broken oar shafts? I have several.

Thanks for the info...I think that I will go with the one piece. Thanks again!!

Default Oar Extenders

I have a set of 3 oar extenders that have never been used. $40

Default Interesting Jim

I prefer one piece oar shafts. They still fit inside small planes, and are a bit stronger. I have snapped breakdown oar shafts when pulling against a rock. They break right at the joint, and ruin the upper section.

Interesting. I have only ever snapped one two piece in the past 12 years and I jammed it into the rocks putting those darn Pins /Clips back in LOL.

:-)

The first one I popped in the first canyon of Sixmile Creek on my very first time I was there. Too much fear I suspect. Moments later I hammered the wall at Predator and broke the frame while loosing a passenger. I was way out of my league.

Since then I have broken three more in Sixmile Creek, but only one other from just pulling on it. I'm really not that strong. But I used to scare myself pretty good. Now I buy one piece Cataract composite shafts. They don't break and are lighter & nicer to row with. I did loose one though, and that hurts more than breaking the aluminum ones. I really can't afford this sport. I'm just a poor preacher boy.

Wink Yep that would Do it.

Your just a white water junkie Jim! Go Boy go! Cataracts are nice I use them on my 18ft Cat NICE! :-) LOL

Jim,
    Sent you a pm