Thread: Close calls in the sheep mtns..

Default Close calls in the sheep mtns..

... with sheep and with a slip...

Went to a new area with an old friend who introduced me to sheep hunting 11 years ago.

After a few days of getting in and trekking high rocky ridges, steep terrain and big valleys we saw about 15 subs, couple of “maybes” (gotcha rams I call them) then spotted a full curl one evening along with 2 subs. From a mile away through the scope it was obvious in a matter of seconds, no 2 hrs of head scratching and hoping. We took off down the main drainage to make the stalk with a strong wind at our backs… not good but nothing we could do about it. Scrambled up a steep side ridge, peeked over to see 4 ewes and a lamb looking nervous and moving out. Right where the rams had been, about 200yds across. Not looking my way like they saw me but definitely thought something was up..”dang, they winded us” I thought as I peeked up over the rocks to see the 3 rams looking back at the ewes as they moved up the ridge… argg! Range finder says 443 yds, strong wind, moving rams, no shot. Backed off, scrambled back a little to my partner and we tried to head further up our little ridge for a shot. Not enough cover, rams are higher, if we pursue they could bust us. I stop, rams are easy 500 yds out and moving but not shagged, they haven’t seen us. I decide to not take a chance on getting busted so we back off. It’s about 9 pm. We’ll try again tomorrow. We had a “siwash camp” with us so we went back down and got some sleep.

Next morning, up early and glassing, 2 rams about a mile out same area, quick check with the spotter and bam… there he is! Off we go, same hard tail wind, we hustle down the drainage past them and head up so we are down wind. Steep, loose, very steep. We get up a ways, drop our packs. We decide our next route, I’d go, partner would keep watch, I’d stop, he’d come, etc. Well, we need to get across some slippery stuff to a strip of green, It’s so steep I’m standing sidehill and can easily touch the slope with my left hand, which I’m doing for balance. Trekking poles are with the packs. I take a small step with my left foot, rocks go and the next thing you know I’m sliding, my hip hits the slope with arm extended up and POP!… dislocated shoulder!! Emmediatly I know what it is, I’ve done the same to my right one over 20 years ago. I edge in hard, thank God for the new Lowa Civeta Plastics with good edges, I only slide 5 or 6 feet. … “OH S*** I dislocated my shoulder!!” I say… “you gotta put it back in” My partner scrambles over to me… “WHA..” I get positioned with my back/shoulder blade against a rock and instruct him on what to do. I have him support my arm high on the tricep, grab elbow and my arm up allowing the muscles to pull it back in. He does it, gives it a little nudge and SCHLUCK! back in it goes… ahhhh, feels much better. Put my elbow to my side and check for numbness, tingling, strength, circulation in my hand and all feels good. I sit for a moment. No apparent nerve impingement. Pain is bearable. From the time it popped to the time we reduced it was about 1 or 2 minutes. Okay, lets keep going! We’re not far from our packs, partner goes and gets me a trekking pole. We continue the stalk. It worked out as planned, came in down wind and above the rams but they were gone. Bummer, well that’s sheep hunting!

We had left our main tent/food with 3 days of food and now it was day 4. We humped it up and over steep pass into the valley across from our main camp. Siwashed again and made the last climb the next morning to much needed food.

Motrin over the next few days, pain killer or muscle relaxer at night as we continued on with our hunt. We ended up bagging it for sheep after seeing a few other hunters on a distant ridge and noticing the sheep we’d been seeing were scarce. Plus logistically it wasn't gonna work hunting further back. We tried to find some bears but that didn’t pan out. Came home a day early sheepless but with another great adventure under the belt!

Be careful out there boys. Things can happen quick. Good to hear that Kahahawai made it through his deal. Kind of wierd that we both suffered shoulder dislocations. At least he got a ram!
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

I love reading your stories. Sounds like a great hunt never the less. Hope the shoulder is doing well and you can fill tag another day.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Glad you are safe and wish you the best.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

An excellent Hunt none the less, thanx for the story.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Brings back painful memories when I used to hunt out of tree stands. Ortho doctor said future dislocations will be easier once you start stressing the area.
    Hopefully you make a full recovery.

I used to dislocate my left shoulder with all too much frequency. Two ways (I found) to reduce the dislocation (when alone): 1. lift the hand on the dislocated arm to something stationary that is about shoulder high. (I always used the right hand to lift the left one) Hold tight and lean away. The ball will rotate back into the socket. 2. wedge the "good" hand between the dislocated arm and work it into the joint. cup the hand to arch it against the upper arm at the joint; again ball should pop back into place.
    Without proper treatment, once you dislocate something, further dislocations become easier and easier - I dislocated mine rolling over in bed while asleep. Woke up REAL fast.