Thread: Unit 7, 14, 15 Lynx closed

Default Unit 7, 14, 15 Lynx closed

FYI - I just read the EO, figured I'd let others know.

Wow...interesting. Closed to trapping, or to take under a hunting license as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Wow...interesting. Closed to trapping, or to take under a hunting license as well?
    Both, first I've heard of the hunting season being closed.

I don't see an EO for closure, just limit adjustment for units14&16 issued on 28 July 2014. Do you have a link for the closure EO?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

Spoke too soon. Just found it. They could have titled the EO a little better.

If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt-Hunter View Post
    Spoke too soon. Just found it. They could have titled the EO a little better.

Definitely, I was surprised when I read the content!

AHH man i love getting out and calling in lynx. I guess I am glad i got the one I did last year and Ill have to wait till it reopens. Might have to take a trip north I guess if I want to get into any. I wish they would have just dropped the bag limit to one instead of closing it all together. Didnt they extend the season last year? and now they close it all down.

The Lynx population is very directly connected, in a predator prey relationship with the Hare population. The cycle runs about two or three years behind the hare cycle, both on the up & the down.

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    AHH man i love getting out and calling in lynx. I guess I am glad i got the one I did last year and Ill have to wait till it reopens. Might have to take a trip north I guess if I want to get into any. I wish they would have just dropped the bag limit to one instead of closing it all together. Didnt they extend the season last year? and now they close it all down.
    I was told in years past they would close the trapping season which accounts for most of the harvest and leave the hunting season open, not sure why that changes this year.

Uggh... takes the wind out of my sails. Like Tony says, North maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by AKFF View Post
    Uggh... takes the wind out of my sails. Like Tony says, North maybe?
    Getting pretty grim up north as well. Very surprised they didn't include unit 13. I bet it makes the list next year. Our Hares are gone and I seen 2 sets of cat tracks last year. I layed off and didn't even make a cubby...

What surprised me about the closure is just how many hares (and lynx) I've seen in unit 14 recently. I've seen (and have heard tell of) a lot of lynx this year, including one that waltzed across the yard this spring and one that found one of my fox snares this winter. I've seen more hare and sign this summer than I have in a long time. Hopefully they're on the upswing and the closure will be short...

Quote Originally Posted by BearMountain View Post
    What surprised me about the closure is just how many hares (and lynx) I've seen in unit 14 recently. I've seen (and have heard tell of) a lot of lynx this year, including one that waltzed across the yard this spring and one that found one of my fox snares this winter. I've seen more hare and sign this summer than I have in a long time. Hopefully they're on the upswing and the closure will be short...
    My first check this fall tells me the hare numbers in 15a are going to be low again this year, we might be a year or two behind 14 down here.