Thread: Shrimp pot grapple

Default Shrimp pot grapple

Steve and guys. What do you think about this set up. I'm planning in giving it a get next weekend in passage canal or maybe cochraine bay if I don't lose it first. I wanted to make one like Steve posted but didn't get around to finding the steel. I'm thinking this night work and should pick up whatever pots are lost down deep. I'm hoping to find mine or at best someone else's. If they are tagged with names I'll be sure to give them back. Exploratory tour at best. Maybe a little fishing and deer hunting too. Whatcha think?
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Just an observation. I think I would make put a rod, from one end to the other so that the pull, could be made from either end. The chain could slide on it so if it got stuck under something, you could pull from the opposite end to free it. Make sense?

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I hope you're successful! Watch out with that thing, though...you might jig up an 800 lb. halibut.

An improvement would be to cut apart the 3 grapples, and weld lengths of chain equal to the length of your straight shots between the hooks. That way it will contour to pots and substrate better. Looks good though, I'm sure it will catch something.

Great idea Dave. Back to the drawing board. Plus I think I'll cut down the front 3 so they don't hook up on the bottom so much. Can't wait to try it out on Saturday and see what we drag up. Good thing I have an E-dyne puller for that 800 lb butt. LOL
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

get rid of the chain on the front and put it all on the arse end in a big ball that way the rope goes right on the grapple when you go over something. Make yourself a snap hook on some 1/2" rope about 6-8 feet long and tie it to the davit so if you do get a line up to the boat you can snap into it so if it falls off the grapple you won't lose it. Tow it around for awhile then haul it back up and check if the grappel is getting shiney if its still dull or rusty your not tending bottom, add more weight and more rope. If your using nylon to tow with it will be hard to tell when you hook something due to all the stretch in the rope but most likely when you grab something you'll just stop. Have you thought what your going to do if you do get a line up next to the boat ?? We would get one rope into the hauler then "under run" the line till we came to a end then turn around and haul it all back, hope you don't grab a big ball of gear and the hauler won't pick it up !! Be careful with the grapple rope in the hauler the rope will start snapping and cracking from the strain, i've had 7/16" look like 1/4" with a big load on it. I've also had a ball of 25-30 lobster traps up to the side of the boat but couldn't get them above the surface so had the hang over the side and try and cut them out of the ball one at a time and hope the rope didn't grab my hand and pull me over with the ball. Good luck and be careful (don't burn the hauler motor up)

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Read your charts closely to make sure you aren't dragging in a cable area.