Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Is there a Firing Range in Talkeetna?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,816

    Default Is there a Firing Range in Talkeetna?

    I heard someone speak of a firing range in Talkeetna the other night, and I asked if he was talkin bout USSA, and he said NO.

    I asked if there was a firing range in Talkeetna, and he said, Yes a good one.

    Out of curiosity, I did an Internet Search and didn't find such.

    I will probably question him farther, next time I see him, but I thought I'd enquire here first.

    Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  2. #2
    Member Hunt&FishAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Valley trash
    Posts
    2,316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I heard someone speak of a firing range in Talkeetna the other night, and I asked if he was talkin bout USSA, and he said NO.

    I asked if there was a firing range in Talkeetna, and he said, Yes a good one.

    Out of curiosity, I did an Internet Search and didn't find such.

    I will probably question him farther, next time I see him, but I thought I'd enquire here first.

    Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Yes there is. Near Montana/ goose creek area.



    Release Lake Trout

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,816

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    Yes there is. Near Montana/ goose creek area.
    IF, you're talkin bout Grouse Ridge, isn't that a Shootgun Range?

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  4. #4
    Member Hunt&FishAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Valley trash
    Posts
    2,316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    IF, you're talkin bout Grouse Ridge, isn't that a Shootgun Range?

    Smitty of the North
    Well.......I can't figure why you would need covered benches and a 200 yard range for a shotgun.



    Release Lake Trout

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,816

    Default

    On my internet search I found only a Shootgun range mentioned. I've heard that it was a shotgun range.

    I don't know WHAT they have at Grouse Ridge, that's why I'm asking.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  6. #6
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    7,224

    Default Let me Google that for ya...

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    On my internet search I found only a Shootgun range mentioned. I've heard that it was a shotgun range.

    I don't know WHAT they have at Grouse Ridge, that's why I'm asking.

    Smitty of the North
    http://www.grouseridge.com/
    This Grouse Ridge? Clearly says it's a shotgun club. Has a restaurant. Is located on Fishhook Road. I hear you can see Russia from there...

    ---------------------------------------------------

    http://susitnashooters.org/default.htm
    This is the 1000 yard range near Talkeetna.

    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ed...itna_range.pdf
    Here's the map to it.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

  7. #7
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,397

    Default

    Smitty, there's a thread about this range just a little ways down the first page of the shooting forum:

    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ming-a-reality

    To be clear, the Upper Susitna Shooters Association isn't in Talkeetna proper, but rather just south of the Talkeetna cutoff on the Parks. Member AKDoug appears be very involved with the Association and the range. I'd send him a note if you want to know more.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,816

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Smitty, there's a thread about this range just a little ways down the first page of the shooting forum:

    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ming-a-reality

    To be clear, the Upper Susitna Shooters Association isn't in Talkeetna proper, but rather just south of the Talkeetna cutoff on the Parks. Member AKDoug appears be very involved with the Association and the range. I'd send him a note if you want to know more.
    Thanks for the info.

    I'm familiar with USSA, and am a member there. I think that AKDoug is the president or something.

    Like the old fart that I am, I forgot about this, and I failed to ask the guy when I seen him again last night.

    He said, If I heard correctly, that he wasn't talking about USSA. I was wondering if there was a RIFLE RANGE at Grouse Ridge, along with the Shootgun. Maybe, even one that is not open to the public.

    OR, if possibly there was a Rifle Range in Talkeetna that I didn't know about.

    Thanks

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •