Thread: Spring Black bear on Slana river

Default Spring Black bear on Slana river

I was just thinking about planning a spring black bear hunt on the slana river. Access it from the rest area on Tok cutoff with a motorized zodiac is this a good idea? will i just be running in to a lot of tribal land? up streem or down streem? I would like to here some input.

Quote Originally Posted by codwyguy1 View Post
    I was just thinking about planning a spring black bear hunt on the slana river. Access it from the rest area on Tok cutoff with a motorized zodiac is this a good idea? will i just be running in to a lot of tribal land? up streem or down streem? I would like to here some input.
    Very possible you could run into a lot of native owned land. I know they have signs up and down the cut-off road in many areas...as I am sure you are aware. If you do live in Tok, why not try a bait station up the old tok cut-off? or around 7 mile hill? There are a lot of cinnamons in the area. I rugged a few while I had my taxidermy shop there.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Well it was just a thought I kind of figured their was a lot of tribal land around their. Just when i stop at that rest area while traveling back and fourth to Anchorage i always thought that would be a neet place to hunt bear. I have a cabin in Tok but I live in Cody Wy

Upriver there is some Ahtna land. There's quite a bit of area to hunt and avoid their land though. You could always shoot one off the banks technically, since the State would own the land up to the mean high water mark. Definitely looks doable though. Check out the link to their land map.
    http://www.ahtna-inc.com/images/mentasta.jpg
    Just google Ahtna land map.
    Tim

Yep defenetly a lot of red on that map. I had tried to find a map of their holdings earlyer but obvously did not use the right search words. I was also thinking about drifting the Tok river but then I think i would be then getting on Tetlen land the further north you go. All well still got almost a year to think about it. I am going to be up their in one more week I cant wait.