Thread: Looking for new watch ideas.

Default Looking for new watch ideas.

Well my old outdoors watch has died and looking for a new one and interested in some suggestions. With the hundreds out there I want to hear from the members about what they have found and tested. Not looking to spend 700 on something and at the same time not looking for a $40.00 special. I'm wanting something tough, reliable, water proof, easy to read and has a light.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

I wear a Casio G-shock model: 3230 as my daily watch as well as my hunting/fishing watch. Costs about $100. Does everything I need (has light), and I like the look of all black/dark greys.
    I'm prolly out using my bow or 30-30

I'm a huge Casio G-Shock fan. That's all I've worn for the last 20 years. They are super tough, accurate and they won't break the bank. There are around 200 different variations of the G-Shock so you can find something that meets your needs and style. They even have camo now! My latest that I bought a few years back only set me back around a hundred bucks. You can't go wrong with it.

I have look at some of those G-Shocks. But if you are going to recommend one, Like you said they have like 200 models. Please tell me what one you choose and why. That would be a great help.

One of the other things is that I'm finding that it's only rated for 14 degrees F

Thanks
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Get one that does the basic functions and nothing more. If you get gps/ compass models, they eat battery life and are not that accurate. Other than that, pick one that is in your budget and aesthetically appealing to you. They are all very durable and water proof. I have owned 5 over a 30 year period, and everyone of them have had the crap beat out them and they continue to function.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

I currently have the Casio GD120CM-8 (see link below). I don't see a temperature rating on their site but I would not worry about that. Your watch will be on your wrist, which provides heat, and under a jacket (I assume you'll wear one below 14 F) which will keep it warm enough. I have only had mine down to -25ish and have had no problems. Mine is pretty basic (see info on the link) and does everything I need with a 7 year(ish) battery life.

http://www.casio-usa.com/products/Wa...ock/GD120CM-8/

Tissot T-touch has temp, baro, elevation, compass. Looks good and has an almost unscratchable face plate on it. I've had mine fo a few years and found the compass accurate and the elevation a lot more accurate than most things.

Timex Expedition indiglo, inexpensive and indestructable and if i remember right i get about 2 years of battery life (dont remember last time i bought a battery for it)

I am not too sure where you saw the temperature rating. But I go hunting year around in Fairbanks area or north on the slope and have my watch all he time. It's been with me in the -40s and -50s with no issues.
    I'm prolly out using my bow or 30-30

I've had a Citizen Eco Drive for over a decade. I wear it every day. No battery to replace, always accurate and a few minutes of sun is all it needs to stay charged.

I basically need a watch that tells time...that's it.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Timex Expedition indiglo.After six years I changed the battery because I just knew it couldn't last much longer.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I basically need a watch that tells time...that's it.
    +1, me too. Once I was a Casio fan, then for years I was a Swiss Army fan; they had excellent battery life, kept very accurate time, and were very water resistant. The weak link (no pun intended) with them and most others has always been the strap attachment pin, or the strap itself at that point. I'd wear them out, or tear them out. Now I wear a Bertucci; their engineering and durability is far, far superior, but the price is reasonable.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBoy View Post
    I am not too sure where you saw the temperature rating. But I go hunting year around in Fairbanks area or north on the slope and have my watch all he time. It's been with me in the -40s and -50s with no issues.
    Went to the website and looked at the specs for most of the watches and they all seem to be 14 deg
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    +1, me too. Once I was a Casio fan, then for years I was a Swiss Army fan; they had excellent battery life, kept very accurate time, and were very water resistant. The weak link (no pun intended) with them and most others has always been the strap attachment pin, or the strap itself at that point. I'd wear them out, or tear them out. Now I wear a Bertucci; their engineering and durability is far, far superior, but the price is reasonable.
    same here, I'm rocking a bertucci field watch. the straps are tough, and those strap adjustment holes, reinforced with brass grommets, do not fail. best $150 I ever spent on a watch.

Sunnto Core range for the best mountain watch. Range from 250-400 dollars depending on construction. Accurate altimeter, barometric pressure with trends, temp and compass. As long as you calibrate beforehand, everything works great and can really help in navigating or figuring out where you are, especially if you have a topo along with you. Mine accompanies me everywhere in the mountains throughout the year.
    http://www.backcountry.com/Store/cat...hes.Altimeters

Sunnto ambit. I have had a sunnto D3 dive watch that is awesome and I'll be getting this watch next for hunting and the like.

I've been a Luminox man for many years. I replaced an old and trusted Luminox a couple years ago with an 8400 series (blackened stainless steel case) and couldn't be happier. I'm hard on stuff and find the weakest link in stuff pretty quickly. This watch is like an anvil, and that suits my personality to a tee. It doesn't do anything but keep the time and date, but that's all I care about in a watch.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Look at the Dakota line of watches. I've had mine since 2001. Wore it every day for years. Recently I wear it only occasionally (camping, boating, etc.) Wore it winter here with no problems. They don't make my style of watch anymore, but I think mine is like the sport angler. I solved the watch band problem by replacing it with 550 cord and a stainless steel shackel.

I only use analog watches/clocks.

Have to admit though, would like to find an analog watch with an alarm loud enough to wake me up. Current watch has no alarm.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    They don't make my style of watch anymore, but I think mine is like the sport angler.
    Correction. My watch is essentially the Dakota Ion.

http://www.dakotawatch.com/index.php...tch-black.html

I hunt with a longbow...sometimes a recurve. You could probably guess the kind of watches I don't wear.

Actually, I'd like to own a Suunto Core or Ambit some day. The main reason I don't care about one for hunting is that my vision is not sharp enough to read the small data without putting on glasses each time. That, and I simply don't need additional digital distraction when I'm hunting. I really need to tell time and that's it. My last 2 field watches have been Luminox models and have found them phenomenal in their endurance, accuracy, comfort and readability. I like the passive luminous markers which make it easy to read in the dark of a tent. If anything, I'd like to discover some type of band which allows my watch to sit outside on the wrist of my outer jacket. I get tired of having to dig through layers to find my watch on a cold day.