Thread: I was told it was a trout fly?... It Was!

Default I was told it was a trout fly?... It Was!

Well, I was bouncing around a couple of forums the other day looking for some trout flies to use and how to present them. I came across a couple posts and went to town with my list. I found everything recommended and bought 4 of each. Two for me and two for my son. All looked good except this one in particular. Note that I said trout flies. Well one of the flies is about 3 inches long and has about a 3/0 hook on it. I started at Willow and fished a couple flies and had a few bumps, swipes and had 2 on while going downstream. On the way back up I met up with my friends and I showed them this fly that had been suggested and I heard laughter followed by the comments that king fishing above the bridge was illegal. Since I was on the way back up I figured what the heck, I’ll try it. My friend said one hole had at least one large trout in it and on the first cast he came up and slammed it. Second hole same result. I got to the car and told my son what had happened and my friend’s son and my son wouldn’t believe it until someone else backed up my story. We loaded up and moved north. On the way I guess my son pondered the situation and as we got out of the car asked to try this new fly. I gave him one to tie on and we moved to the creek. His first cast resulted in a 19” rainbow. 5 more casts and he moved upstream, hollering down to me some thing about 4 misses. We moved up the creek and I let him have the lead on the holes. I skipped him on one hole and banged one out on the first cast in a new deep hole. Next we decided to start over again after a water break and head downstream from the car. One long deep run produced no fish. Then, we ran into another guy fly fishing for trout just moving out of a hole and we fished the same hole. I switched to a black version of unsaid fly and nothing. Moved down to the next hole and popped one. My son stayed at the hole the other guy fished and popped one, it got stuck in a big root wad and as I was untangling it while he was fighting it at the same time he / we lost it. Of course me being a proud Dad said to myself “ yeah, you show them” seeings how other people fished it with nothing and he pulled this one out. Then I thought “wait I just tried that hole and failed to.” We get his line untangled and I move down again. He says he’s going back to the hole and I’m thinking nope that hole is done. O.K. let’s shorten this up. 4 more fish later he decides to leave the hole. Pretty good for a 20’ long hole. He now moves into the hole I just left and pops another. It wasn’t until we were on the way home that he told me how he was fishing that fly. When I asked why he didn’t say something he said, “well I thought you new, I never thought about it” Any one wanna know the fly in question?
    A Dali Lhama – Olive Green – Yes it looks like a small king fly or a silver fly. If you buy some don’t put it off until mid day because of how it looks. I was actually trying to figure out how I would explain to ADF&G that I was actually fishing for trout. I wanted to put this out there because someone else was kind enough to put it out there, and it resulted in an amazing day for my son and I, so I figured turnabout was fair play. Here are 2 0f the ones he got.

[/img]

Default the fly

p.s. That's not moss hanging off the fly. That's the fly

were you using dry flies?

what creek were ya fishing?

nice fish by the way!!

You could probably tell you were not fishing for kings because of the different takle.... like the obviouse 4lb or 6lb test and smaller flyrod... just a guess.

Anyways nice fish, if you want to catch truley big trout try fishing a vole immitation in the fall.