Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a some 1/4" balsa core

Default Looking for a some 1/4" balsa core

Repairing a hardtop and need some 1/4" (~4 sq.') of balsa core.
    I know its relatively cheap but just though someone may have some left over from a project.....

Thanks, John
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Found this on Ebay... http://www.ebay.com/itm/End-Grain-Ba...9e4bd7&vxp=mtr May be worth a shot if someone local doesn't have leftovers.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    Found this on Ebay... http://www.ebay.com/itm/End-Grain-Ba...9e4bd7&vxp=mtr May be worth a shot if someone local doesn't have leftovers.
    Thanks Gary, It was a long shot that someone in AK had some leftover, given enough time it might show up. We were anxious to keep this project going and for the minimal cost, I went ahead and ordered some....It will be interesting to learn something new...!

Thanks Again...
    TR

Hope you can post some pictures when you get the project underway...I wanna watch.

Looking for about 15 sq. feet of core material as well. prefer divinycell, but would consider other. this is for a hatch which became waterlogged. Any suggestions?

Gunner,
    We got our balsa core here http://shop.fiberglasssupply.com/car...=76&child=2237
    it appears they have divinycell as well.

I ordered it online on Sunday and had it by Thursday shipping USPS, I asked a couple of questions via email and got a phone call with in minutes.

Our project is rather small and since we are repairing just a portion we decided to stay with the balsa core..

Gary
    I will post some pics as I get further along, last weekend we got the old core removed and cleaned up.
    TR

Thanks Akgramps- looks like they can help me out

Fiberglass supply is great to deal with, I got all my fiberglass and tools for my Tolman build from them. Good prices, reasonable shipping and good to deal with.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    Hope you can post some pictures when you get the project underway...I wanna watch.
    Here are some pics of what we did, sorry it took so long, got caught up in a few other pro-jects along the way.

We had removed the hardtop off a 1982 Glasply a while a back and we were getting it cleaned up to paint when we noticed the inner skin was loose and water was bubbling up from a 1/8" hole, we were using a nylox brush in a pneumatic drill, so it was apparently creating a little heat. I dont have any good pics of just the hardtop right side up, but it came off of this boat.

This is what it looked like with the two pieces separated, the upper top is in the background.

Cleaning & discovery

Wet old balsa core looks like MUD....!

I believe this was from a screw hole to support a wire that accidentally went all the way through......and no agum-pukey was applied to keep it sealed, 30 years in SE AK and water will find a way in.

We started scarfing back the wet stuff, looking for the limits.

I covered the exposed section with some poly, taped the edges down and put some heat under it, I had a little condensation show on the poly after a hour, so decided to remove more of the balsa core.

What it looks like up close & personal

TR

The core we ordered was 1/4" thick, came in a 2' X 4' roll and weighted next to nothing, cool stuff. At first I cut it with a multitool, but the 1/4" can be easily cut with a utility knife.

Pieces cut to fit, I squared up the edges rather than a scarf joint. Maybe on a thicker core that might be necessary.
    It doesn't have to fit perfect, as we fill any voids with some thickened goo.

Once the core was cut, I cut some various layers of fiberglass to overlay each layer.

Then "wet out" each surface

Add some thickened goo

Spread it around some.

TR

Then we pressed the core into place, we used a "J" roller to press it into the goo, I put some sandbags on it (no pics, use your imagination here...!). Polyester resin is fairly quick so it wasn't long before it stayed put, this is where vacuum bagging would come in handy.

Then more thickened goo to fill any voids and to act as fillet on the front edge.

A close up of that area.

Then we wet it out and start applying layers of glass

All done.

All in all the balsa core is pretty cool stuff, rather amazing how light it is and how strong you can make something, below the water line would be a concern, This part of this boat project was fairly manageable, even for a novice....I am sure there are better methods and for this we could have just as easily used some 1/4" plywood. What is cool about the balsa core is its scored both directions so it can conform to a radius.
    TR

Awesome pics thanks for sharing the project!
    Reminds me of a 24' Skipjack we completely rebuilt from the hull up in Hawaii. When I say completely it was serious. As in built our own fuel tanks from scratch out of fiberglass, all new stringers & bulkheads, deck, v berth as well as ditched the pos I/O's and hung a new pair of Yamahas on an Armstrong extended transom bracket, built a flying bridge with helm, the whole thing. The boat looked better than it did from the factory and we ran it as a 2nd charter boat on the north shore of Kauai. Everytime we'd pull it up on the ramp guys would come mad bug us about buying it. Finally my capt couldn't resist and sold it at a rather tidy profit (except not sure how much health that project cost us) as we already had our "main" boat doing the bulk of the chartering (locally built 34' glass twin diesel). That little boat fished 4 perfectly, was efficient and raised fish big time, miss it and wish we took more pics of it. Was before iPhones and Internet ease.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

Nice job, AKgramps! I'd never worked with balsa so I got some and built a large switch handle for my pot puller last week...fun mini project.

Thanks Gary

BigJim, sounds like a neat boat, would love to see a picture.....!

We have inhaled plenty of unhealthy stuff doing this project, I am rather glad most of that is behind us, Repairing the hardtop was a relatively minor job. We are working on a 24' Glasply. We have stripped the hull down to just the hull.... we have to build a new tank, but will do that with aluminum.

First look

Getting ready for new bottom paint

New taller window frames

New interior in progress

New paint

We put a new rubrail on last weekend, a big turning point as it was the first new piece to go back on the boat....
    TR

Wow! Quite the project, like the taller roof line for sure. Where'd you get the windows from? We didn't have the equipment for aluminum tanks at the time but we sure had a ridiculous amount of cloth and 55 gal barrels of resin from other projects so that's what we went with. Wouldn't do it again with ethanol now in fuel.
    Are you keeping the same motor? How about a 4 cyl Yanmar diesel?! Also curious; I believe those glassply's had a below waterline deck height; wondering if you're keeping it the same or going to have a self bailing deck?
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

The extrusions came from PCMW in BC. We raised the top 6 inches. A diesel would be nice, but we found a low (40 hours) 350 mecrruiser. It was very afforadable, which was the name of the game when we started this project 2 years ago......little would we know then where we would end up....
    You are right, it is not self bailing, wish it was and we could have raised the cockpit floor deck. But you know what they say about hindsight....!
    A big OH would have made raising the floor much more attractive. However the GP is fairly narrow, so I question how smart it would be to raise the center of gravity? We did some with the hardtop, but I think it's minimal.
    TR

Geez, that's going to be one sweet ride! Threads like this are always my favorites.

A valid concern about raising the cg. Might be surprising to know that there is a huge number of old GP's in Hawaii being used as fishing boats and I've seem many modified with raised decks, in deck fish holds, and there's rarely any there that have not had the old I/O's pulled and outboards put on.
    For there raising the deck is pretty important as we used to fish 65% of the time in rough conditions with waves commonly washing over the gunnels (combination of open ocean swells and 20-25 knot trades); a flush deck being mandatory plus all the fish blood washes out. What the raised deck gives is a bunch of below deck storage that almost all factory boats don't have enough of and you can put fish and heavy crap down there.
    What's the beam of your boat? Not tryin to sway ya just observations of what I've seen there.

Its 8'-1" at the beam and 6'-0" at the chine. We are well past the point of OB, Diesel or rising the floor.....I would have loved to have explored those possibilities. This has been two years in the works so far and hope to have it functioning by next spring..... It was a WELL used put away wet boat out of Sitka that was not maintained by out of state owners.

Once we started removing things it was hard to turn back, every time we removed something we said "well, thats not going back in".....Haha

All we really wanted to do was go fishing, but we were to cheap initially to spend any real money.....we are over that now.....! At some level it needs to get done as is.....once we get some time on it (I hope I can wear it out) we may consider some more mods...

I have heard there are/were a lot of Glasplys in Hawaii, I think its a good hull and a worthwhile pro-ject...its been mostly fun.
    TR

Pretty awesome and when you go fish it and like all the mods that's hard to put a price on (contrary to what the wife says).
    There were boats built there called Ali'i Kai, my buddy has a 19' and it's a direct copy of a glassply. You would just not believe the conditions we fished that boat on a regular basis. I mean waves literally over the cab on occasion and we just kept going. It was a fish catching machine on the Gawd awfullest of days. And I can say that little boat did pretty awesome fishing a 24' green stick; look that up online, talk about giving a boat a high center of gravity
    His was powered with twin high thrust yamaha 60's, it's rare on Kauai to be able to run fast for any length of time, more important to have an abundance of torque in the trough. Jeez awesome memories & fish!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast