Thread: Bringing a handgun this year?

Default Bringing a handgun this year?

I will be packing my S&W .44 Mag. Mountain Gun in the Diamond D Guides Choice holster this year. My wife and I will be looking for a moose and I hope to plug one with it some day. The last 2 times I shot a moose under 15 yards I was thinking so hard about the full freezer I forgot about the revolver. I also have a little S&W J Frame Mod. 34 Kit Gun that works well on grouse with .22 shorts, as long as I can get real close. If I'm taking a big stroll in good hunting country I usually don't bring a handgun, but like having access to one in camp.

When I'm hunting, I always have my kimber pro carry on my hip. Don't plan on actually hunting with it, but it does provide some peace of mind.
    I'm prolly out using my bow or 30-30

The last time I was up there I carried my S&W .40 with 15 rounds. On my 2015 spring hunt I plan to carry my S&W model 69, 5 round, .44 magnum. I felt a little under gunned with the .40 even having 15 rounds in it. Didn't figure I'd get to fire em all anyway. I'd rather get off 2 or 3 heavy hitters if I need to.

I don't carry the pistol if I am carrying my rifle. I figure by the time I drop my rifle and draw my pistol I can get a shot off with the rifle. I have the pistol in the boat and at camp. The pistol is traded for the rifle when I am making multiple trips to pack out an animal. I have the pistol on in camp and with me in the tent. I have a buddy that won't enter the field without his pistol on him, even when packing a rifle. Doesn't seem to slow him down, but I found it to be cumbersome.

I always have some kind of pistol on me outside the house.Have not carried a rifle the last six years.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

we also carry handguns. Since we're driving thru Canada this year, we are not able to have them. I'm pretty uncomfortable with that- but not enough to give up the trip! Thought about looking for something on the way though.

Unlikely...hardly ever carry a handgun if I have a rifle and if I'm hunting, I've got a rifle.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Always carry my 44 with heavy loads if I'm in the bush. It's a little bit of extra insurance and a wise old man once told me an ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure. Mine is a big frame Ruger which is by no means light but it's a piece of gear I never leave the truck without, it a piece of emergency gear for me, I've had a couple run in with moose and one bear feel naked without it.

Smith & Wesson 329PD (.44 Mag) equipped with CT Laser Grips and home to 255 gr HC Buffalo Bore x 6 rounds. I prefer a Bianchi UMR holster for side-carry on my hunting pack, and I equipped my rig with a custom paracord tether.

Once the moose is down, a pistol on the chest for cleaning and packing makes for a good idea!
    Semper Fi and God Bless

I never did see the point of carrying a pistol if I'm hunting with a rifle.
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I carry a pistol everywhere any way. Not that I'm paranoid just like to be prepared, hopefully never "need" it but, I'd much rather have it and not need it than the reverse scenario. We suprised a moose this weekend out scouting while coming through an alder tangle, a rifle wouldn't have been worth anything but a club at that point. She went her way and we went ours no harm no foul. If it would've turned ugly and I didn't have my pistol I'd need more than just a change of undergarments. At ten paces or less my scoped rifle was useless, we were blessed to not be between her and a calf or it be a bear with a bad attitude. Everyone has that one piece of gear they won't hunt without for me that's my Ruger stoked with 340gr heavy loads. To each his own I'll not judge anyone whether they carry a pistol into the bush or not is their business. I rest easier knowing it's within arms reach, I've practiced with it and know it's capable of stopping or at a minimum marginally disrupting a charge from anything I'll be around. Those are at 25yd fast as I can accurately pull the trigger for me it's cheap insurance to not become a bear turd or floor mat for a moose.

I always carry a pistol while hunting anywhere. In Alaska, I carry a Ruger Alaskan in .460 S&W. The short barrel never gets in the way and its big enough to cause some damage if it this the mark. Plus its a way to signal to someone in an emergency if I'm only bowhunting. When making several trips packing meat, a pistol is all I carry. I usually take a .22 pistol to camp as well.

I've only had one close call, and that was in the middle of the night getting out of the tent to pee. I think I surprised the bear as much as it surprised me. Never fired a shot, but was glad I had it.

Rather have it and not need it...

The only thing I use my pistol for is to fight my way to my rifle!

I've told people: The main reason I carry a handgun while moose hunting is to remind me there are bears around, and to be careful.

I alway take a handgun with me (.454) for when I need to pack meat from the kill site to the boat or whatever. I have a hard time packing a rifle with a fully loaded pack. JMHO
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

I always have two hand guns with me when I am hunting, a Ruger MKII with a Red Dot for small game/birds and a Glock 10mm for any other issue that come up. Over the years I have taken caribou, moose and bear all with some sort of hand gun. Some times things work out just right and the hand gun comes in real handy.