Thread: Russian River after September 7th?

Default Russian River after September 7th?

Hey guys, I was looking to put together a last minute hurrah to the Russian River in early September. Will be in an RV with my wife. I just looked online and discovered that the campground closes September 7th, slap in the middle of our allotted time. Was looking to stay there through the 14th or so. Is there any loophole here, such as, the gates are still open, but they no longer maintain the bathrooms, or supply water? Or is it strictly no access allowed? Maybe I could camp at another ground like Quartz, and drive over to the Russian for day parking? Any and all tips/advice on this is appreciated, as I'm really looking to make this happen! Thanks.

You are correct on the gates remaining open. I think I've seen the bathrooms open as well. But some years, if it looks like people are gonna show up (I honestly have no idea how they make the determination) they keep the campground open to grab a few more dollars before season's end.
    "I'm going out to fish." - Peter

Thanks lane. I guess I'll just have to wing it and see what happens when we get there. Unless someone else can weigh in on this with a little advice or experience ... Well, if we can't stay at the Russian or Cooper Landing, maybe we'll head up the Parks and check out Montana and Willow. Those campgrounds are open until October, or so their websites say.

You could contact the USFS Seward Ranger District and find out for certain.

The gates are usually open until sometime in October. It depends on snow conditions. Don't expect to get water or dump your RV however. Bathrooms are questionable as well but you can usually find something open toward the end of the road near Grayling or King Salmon. Have a great trip!

Last fall they stayed opend and charged until the 18th of Sept. Then it was free and the only loop open was the King Loop (the last camping loop). I stayed there from the 6th until the 28th and had no issues. They based their closing date (for charging anyway) on how many people and weather. Quartz operates the same way, I just chose to stay at Russian, same price, less driving, I'll be stayign there again this fall.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Thanks a lot guys, for your input. One less (major) thing for me to have to concern myself with. After posting, I found some photos of us from two years ago on the Russian. They were dated around 9/16, but I can't remember if the campground was officially open or not. That was right around the bad storms and flooding, so my guess is that it was "closed". Again, I appreciate your help. Abel, I'm a blond guy with a beard and a little blond wife. We'll be in an RV. If you see us, stop by and say hi. I'll buy you a beer.

SOunds good man. I'll be running around with the Red Siberian Husky
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Anyone know if the campgrounds at Crescent Creek and Cooper Creek North are walk-up or reservation sites? I can't find them online to reserve, and the Russian, Quartz, and Cooper Creek South are booked up. Thanks.
    -R

Quote Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
    Anyone know if the campgrounds at Crescent Creek and Cooper Creek North are walk-up or reservation sites? I can't find them online to reserve, and the Russian, Quartz, and Cooper Creek South are booked up. Thanks.
    -R
    I know that at Quartz (and would think the others also) some of the sites remain available for drive ups. The only to tell if a campground has an opening is to drive up and check.