Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

Thread: Stupid and dangerous hunters...

  1. #1

    Default Stupid and dangerous hunters...

    I turned on the idiot box and thought I would watch the Hunt Alaska show, the one that has been mostly about Kodiak bear hunting. Yes it is dumb as a box of rocks, but what the heck. So here is the rancher guy looking around for the cattle killing bear. I don't blame the bear one bit for being a bear and liking the taste of beef. So the guy has his scoped rifle and no binoculars, yup he was using his rifle scope to look around and I was filled with disgust. I have been scoped once that I know of and told the guy what I thought about some one pointing a rifle at me and to make it worse he had a pair of binoculars around his neck and denied doing it. I have also watched 4 others do it over the years and reminded all of them that it was a dangerous practice. Why can't some hunters get it through their head that a rifle scope is only a sighting instrument and not a pair of binoculars, ****ed idiots make me cuss. I ain't in favor of a bunch of laws but I would be in favor of one that said you have to have a pair of binoculars around your neck if your packing a rifle with a scope on it.

  2. #2
    Member hodgeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction AK
    Posts
    4,055

    Default

    That makes my blood boil as well...

    I did hear a story of a guy who left another hunter a note to that effect... affixed to the hood of his truck with a steel tent spike pounded through the metal.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    4,034

    Default Stupid and dangerous hunters...

    I sure hope you guys stay out of politics.

    Pull the bolt, no big deal to use a scope for viewing.

    I agree that doing it to look at people is a bad habit.

  4. #4
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Is agree that doing it to look at people is a bad habit.
    In which case the hunter being viewed probably would know that the bolt was pulled.......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  5. #5
    Member tccak71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,174

    Default

    You can't regulate common sense. We don't need more laws.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    4,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    In which case the hunter being viewed probably would know that the bolt was pulled.......
    Not following you?

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Not following you?
    Sarcasm. You know bolt is pulled but person you are viewing has no idea.

  8. #8
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    7,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    Sarcasm. You know bolt is pulled but person you are viewing has no idea.
    ....And the laws in some states now would allow him to shoot you in self defense.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    4,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    ....And the laws in some states now would allow him to shoot you in self defense.
    As they should!

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    ....And the laws in some states now would allow him to shoot you in self defense.
    That's true.

    I had a bow drawn on me once. I was around 10 yrs old. My dad, my stepbrothers and I were out scouting an area during now season. We were wearing orange and found a muscadine thicket. We started picking. A hunter saw the bushes shaking and heard the noise but didn't see us. He had his bow drawn and luckily for us he didn't shoot into the thicket. He did apologize profusely. I remember my dad accepting the apology after he chewed the guy out.

  11. #11
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    7,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    As they should!
    Agreed. My point being that if you point a rifle at somebody, whether you've removed the bolt or not, you should be expecting to draw fire.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    4,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    Sarcasm. You know bolt is pulled but person you are viewing has no idea.
    Thanks I'm a bit slow...

  13. #13

    Default

    Rule #2, "Never let the muzzle cover any thing your not willing to destroy". Best wishes and have a safe hunting season.

  14. #14
    Member Erik in AK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    That's true.

    I had a bow drawn on me once. I was around 10 yrs old. My dad, my stepbrothers and I were out scouting an area during now season. We were wearing orange and found a muscadine thicket. We started picking. A hunter saw the bushes shaking and heard the noise but didn't see us. He had his bow drawn and luckily for us he didn't shoot into the thicket. He did apologize profusely. I remember my dad accepting the apology after he chewed the guy out.
    Not trying to be the "One-Upper" guy but I got shot at once while stalking a deer. The shooter was 600-700 yards across a broad canyon and I unwittingly side-hilled below another (buck?) bedded above about 50 yards--never saw that deer but heard it clattering across the rocks above me. I was wearing a long sleeved shirt and a ball cap both in hunter orange. It was semi open chaparral country. The only orange the shooter had on was a ball cap and I could see him plainly. He could see me.

    By the way, a rifle bullet lobbed from far off makes a distinct sound as it passes near you. Kinda of a mix or humming bird and angry bee. Guy shot at me 4 times within 10 seconds or so. Closest strike was about 10 feet away. Never having been shot at before I did not recognize the sound at first, until a moment later when it ricochetted off the rocks 10 yards upslope. There was no cover so I just pressed myself to the ground and waited. I came very close to shooting back with intent to kill.

    Point? If you ever knowingly scope another human being while hunting, you're a ****** bag.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Thanks I'm a bit slow...
    Not as slow as me. Trust me. I'm slower than molasses in winter.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    Not trying to be the "One-Upper" guy but I got shot at once while stalking a deer. The shooter was 600-700 yards across a broad canyon and I unwittingly side-hilled below another (buck?) bedded above about 50 yards--never saw that deer but heard it clattering across the rocks above me. I was wearing a long sleeved shirt and a ball cap both in hunter orange. It was semi open chaparral country. The only orange the shooter had on was a ball cap and I could see him plainly. He could see me.

    By the way, a rifle bullet lobbed from far off makes a distinct sound as it passes near you. Kinda of a mix or humming bird and angry bee. Guy shot at me 4 times within 10 seconds or so. Closest strike was about 10 feet away. Never having been shot at before I did not recognize the sound at first, until a moment later when it ricochetted off the rocks 10 yards upslope. There was no cover so I just pressed myself to the ground and waited. I came very close to shooting back with intent to kill.

    Point? If you ever knowingly scope another human being while hunting, you're a ****** bag.
    Not one upping. I believe it's good to tell these stories. That's crazy. Getting shot at is never fun.

  17. #17
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post

    By the way, a rifle bullet lobbed from far off makes a distinct sound as it passes near you. Kinda of a mix or humming bird and angry bee.
    Good description of the sound. I had a bullet fly over me one time back in the Alphabet Hills. I never saw the hunter and I hope he never saw me, but clearly he was shooting over the caribou and didn't follow the rule regarding knowing what is behind his target. Scary for sure - I hit the deck and stayed there a good long while.

  18. #18
    Member JuliW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    1,189

    Default

    This is a good reminder for EVERYONE to follow basic firearm safety... One of my least favorite situations is to be hunting with someone who insists on keeping a round in the chamber at all times..In fact, now I ask anyone I hunt with to keep their chambers clear and ask if I can check or watch them check their firearm.....It is WAAAAAY too easy to swing a barrel up and down/back and forth as you try to go through brush or keep balance on uneven terrain...And crazy scary to be in front of someone who you KNOW has a bullet in the chamber.

    The only time I put a round in the chamber is following up on shot bears, last part of a stalk, or if I am (was) leading others (my kids/family) through bear country - and even then I am ultra careful to know exactly where my rifle is pointed...
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

  19. #19

    Default

    Not to one up either, but if it could help someone understand gun safety while reading this thread -

    Had a guy watch my friend and I one morning with his scope while elk hunting. I was furious. We tried to move our position and he continued to follow us through his scope. To my surprise, he was staying in our camp (of about 18 guys). When I confronted him, he apologized and said he had forgotten his binoculars that morning. I explained what every intelligent gun owner should know and then he told us he wouldn't have done it if he had known it was us. Apparently he thinks it's okay to scopes strangers? Starting the next morning, we were careful to hunt a few miles away from this idiot.

    Some older gentleman arranged to come out and goose hunt one morning at the ranch we were hunting. These fellows had been giving me a lot of free advice on gun safety and hunting ethics the day before. I went out early that morning to a ground blind to just glass around before they arrived. The blind was near the dirt road that they came in on. They flushed a large covey of grouse as they drove in and all those birds landed right in front of that blind. Within seconds, all the windows came down and four shotgun barrels began peppering that blind as I laid as close to the floor as I could get. No grouse were harvested and we had another conversation about gun safety and hunting ethics.

  20. #20
    Member TexasBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK
    Posts
    144

    Default

    You can only laugh at the level of stupidity within the hunting community.
    I'm prolly out using my bow or 30-30

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •