Thread: Bison coming to my area

Default Bison coming to my area

Bison are soon to be reintroduced to my area this upcoming spring. No hunting for awhile and fish and game weren't completely helpful, but not worthless on the info provided either. How have the bison affected the area near delta? We are being told they won't interfere with moose. I'm just curious.

That's good news, and it's about time!

Moose are browsers, bison are grazers. For the most part they don't eat the same things, nor should they be in competition for habitat in general.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    That's good news, and it's about time!

Moose are browsers, bison are grazers. For the most part they don't eat the same things, nor should they be in competition for habitat in general.
    Excellent. The general consensus is no one knows much about them. F&G kept pushing the food source angle even though they have no idea when hunting will be allowed. I'm excited to see them in the wild.

Have done some flying over the Innoko area. Even did a little lake hopping marten trapping there one year. After spending all last winter chasing Delta Bison, I'm not so sure the Innoko is that suited to Bison. Some might survive, but doubt you'll ever get much of a huntable population.
    But Hey...........it's not like I have a college degree or anything!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Have done some flying over the Innoko area. Even did a little lake hopping marten trapping there one year. After spending all last winter chasing Delta Bison, I'm not so sure the Innoko is that suited to Bison. Some might survive, but doubt you'll ever get much of a huntable population.
    But Hey...........it's not like I have a college degree or anything!
    A lot of the old timers. Like truly subsistence guys don't think they will have much chance either. Flooding is notorious. Winters are harsh. We shall see.

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Is this the Wood Bison they have been talking about reintroducing? If so, they may not need the same type habitat as the Bison that are already here.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.