Thread: Velvet preserve kits

Default Velvet preserve kits

Any interest for velvet preserve kits to take into the field? I have been considering offering a 'kit'...two syringes, velvet preservative (non toxic), latex gloves...

also - for those interested, I have DVD's of the bear skinning class. No charge - very thorough video, about 75 minutes long..Stop by and pick them up, or I can take a paypal payment to cover mailing. PM for more info.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Is it really as simple as that? Or is that a temporary thing to get antlers back from the field? I saw several nice bulls this weekend and would be awesome to save them with intact velvet.

Mainly as a means to keep them stable until they have been delivered to a taxidermist. The process is a bit involved, but not so much that it can't be done by most people, with some instruction.

Early season caribou are tougher to preserve and you have to 'stay with them' for a while...next week, when bulls begin slowing down or stopping growth altogether, they will be easier to manage.

These antlers were injected 5 yrs ago when I had my shop in Tok...and still in excellent condition.

Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

I have a velvet caribou that was shot in 1996. The only place that it is starting to look bad is on the double shovel. I did get it professionally done. Just remember if you wait more than 48 hours to get it in, the chances of the velvet starting to fall off increases more and more each day.

\
    What kinda price we talking? Id be interested if the price is right and if it was easy enough,
    but am leaving thursday night and live on the kenai...
    Quote Originally Posted by JuliW View Post
    Any interest for velvet preserve kits to take into the field? I have been considering offering a 'kit'...two syringes, velvet preservative (non toxic), latex gloves...

also - for those interested, I have DVD's of the bear skinning class. No charge - very thorough video, about 75 minutes long..Stop by and pick them up, or I can take a paypal payment to cover mailing. PM for more info.