Thread: 44mag plinker rounds my first handloads

Thumbs up 44mag plinker rounds my first handloads

I finally made it to the range and shot my first 50 rounds of handloads! 8 gr Unique, 240gr cast with a tight crimp. Man what a BLAST to shoot those rounds!! Mellow and fun fun fun. Accurate too I think in my SBH. No problem knocking the 2 liter bottle all over the place at 25yds bull's eye stance open sights. I even hit a clay pigeon at about 40 yds! Time to load up a few hundred and go have some fun! Next time I'll get a little more serious about exact yardage and a target like a paper plate and practice what Murphy teaches, I thinks it's 6 shots in a paper plate at 25 yds in 5 seconds with the single action. Is that right Murph?? I just want to be good and proficient come Moose season. Of course I'll be shooting 300gr cast gas checks for that.

Default Where did you get that recipe?

Snyd,

I like the 240gr hard cast over Unique combination too but your eight grains sounds a bit hot for a .44 rem mag. I follow the Speer manual and only use 6.5gr Unique. The maximum load recommended by Speer is 7gr. I realize that different bullet manufacturers recommend different amounts of powder and I am curious about where you got that recipe and what style bullets you are using (Keith, cowboy action, etc.).

Did you see any leading in the forcing cone after 50 rounds?

Of course, I only get about 700fps out of my 3" snubbie but they are the mildest practice/plinking rounds I have found. I have been using that reduced load for many years now. I buy the bullets in boxes of 500 and frequently shoot 500 in less than a month. Cheap! 'And they are mild'- as the old cigarette commercials used to say.

8gr Unique with a 240gr SWC Keith style bullet, CCI Large Pistol Primers in 44 rem mag brass with a tight crimp is what I loaded. 8-10 gr Unique seems to be a pretty standard 44mag plinking round from all the research I've done. MANY, guys around here and others I've talked to have been loading it for years. Isn't 6.5gr referring to the 44sp?

Agreed that 7-10 gr unique under 240-250 gr cast is a staple for 44 mags, and 45 colts in modern guns. There is something to be said for mastering the gun with mild loads, and it's so much fun!

Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    Snyd,

I like the 240gr hard cast over Unique combination too but your eight grains sounds a bit hot for a .44 rem mag. I follow the Speer manual and only use 6.5gr Unique. The maximum load recommended by Speer is 7gr. I realize that different bullet manufacturers recommend different amounts of powder and I am curious about where you got that recipe and what style bullets you are using (Keith, cowboy action, etc.).

Did you see any leading in the forcing cone after 50 rounds?

Of course, I only get about 700fps out of my 3" snubbie but they are the mildest practice/plinking rounds I have found. I have been using that reduced load for many years now. I buy the bullets in boxes of 500 and frequently shoot 500 in less than a month. Cheap! 'And they are mild'- as the old cigarette commercials used to say.

The Speer #13 Manual gives a maximum load, with the 240 grain 'swaged lead' Speer SWC bullet, as 7.0 grains of Unique for a velocity of 899 fps. This for a soft, pure lead bullet and the low charge is to keep velocity down to prevent leading. I believe this is the load you refer to.

The next page over has loads for 'cast' 250 grain SWC from an RCBS mold which is calls lead alloy, hard. A max load of Unique is then listed as 11.0 grains, for this 'hard cast' bullet with a velocity of 1211 fps. This isn't in the older manuals.

Speer does note that CCI-350 magnum primers were used only for H110 and W296 and CI-300 used for the Unique loads.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Speer does note that CCI-350 magnum primers were used only for H110 and W296 and CI-300 used for the Unique loads.
    Ya, 300's. That's what I used.