Thread: Photos from our trip

Default Photos from our trip

Spent a week on the Kenai peninsula with my dad not too long ago. We had an absolute blast! It was my first trip to AK, 2nd trip for my dad. It's safe to say that this place had gotten in to my blood and I will be back. We had 3 guided trips during our week stay (1 salt trip out of Homer for Halibut, and 2 drift boats on the Kenai for reds/silvers). In the time we were there the pinks were THICK so we had to work to find our reds/silvers, but the fishing was non stop, and it was a blast! In one morning on the Kenai, just below the Pillars I landed 78 fish from 6:30am until noon. It was just incredible! The vast majority of those were pinks (73 pinks, 5 reds - I finished out my dad's limit that morning since he tweaked his back). I'm a river rat down here in the PNW, and have never "flipped" or "lined" a fish before. There is definitely a learning curve to this technique, but after I got it down and learned how to feel the fish I was only foul hooking 1/15 or so, and it was a lot more fun than I expected.

We spent the rest of our days exploring and fishing. At the end of our week we shipped home a total of 150lbs of fillets between the two of us. All in all a very successful week.

We are already starting to plan our next trip, and want to target some trophy Kings and 'bows

Attached Images Attached Images

looks like DAD an SON had a great time together an got some fish also SID

You do know it was illegal to catch for your Dad don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowstone View Post
    You do know it was illegal to catch for your Dad don't you?
    Maybe he did, maybe he didn't? His hired guides apparently didn't have a problem with it... Jones, like flossing, there's a learning curve to Alaska's rules and regulations (which happen to be extremely strict, not to mention, convoluted, compared to many other states). A lot of the guys on this forum are sticklers for the law, and understandably so. They love and protect their resources. I sure wouldn't want to read about guys coming down to my state, Florida, breaking some rules, and flying home with more than their fair (and legal) share of MY lobster. Anyway, congratulations on time well spent with your Dad. Next trip, pay closer attention to the Regs guide, and if you happen to bend, warp, fracture a law; be careful about where you announce it. Welcome to the forum.

Welp, I don't see a way to edit my initial post, otherwise I would. I would not intentionally have posted a rules violation like that, had I known ahead of time.

We were on a guided trip when my dad went down with back pain. It was at the guides behest that this took place. He mentioned a "boat limit" and "proxy", so we assumed it was on the up and up. No excuse for not knowing the rules for ourselves, but we were just taking the advice of a native Alaskan who is on the water every day.

I'm a law abiding outdoorsman, and this definitely was not intentional.

Quote Originally Posted by JJonesls1 View Post
    Welp, I don't see a way to edit my initial post, otherwise I would. I would not intentionally have posted a rules violation like that, had I known ahead of time.

We were on a guided trip when my dad went down with back pain. It was at the guides behest that this took place. He mentioned a "boat limit" and "proxy", so we assumed it was on the up and up. No excuse for not knowing the rules for ourselves, but we were just taking the advice of a native Alaskan who is on the water every day.

I'm a law abiding outdoorsman, and this definitely was not intentional.
    Unfortunate your guide put you in that predicament, don't feel too bad, most of the locals do it too. Enforcement here is so thin I've never heard of anyone getting tagged for it. People seem to take that as license to do it. I've had guides suggest the same thing to me, I suspect its very common.

Glad you guys had a good trip, if your looking for King fishing next year you might be better off hiring a guide on the Columbia! Don't get suckered into a Kenai King trip!

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Unfortunate your guide put you in that predicament, don't feel too bad, most of the locals do it too. Enforcement here is so thin I've never heard of anyone getting tagged for it. People seem to take that as license to do it. I've had guides suggest the same thing to me, I suspect its very common.

Glad you guys had a good trip, if your looking for King fishing next year you might be better off hiring a guide on the Columbia! Don't get suckered into a Kenai King trip!
    I completely agree. I am also telling friends not to waste their money or believe anything the guides tell them vat the outdoor shows. The Kenai is not what it used to be and bi hate seeing friends book a trip only to find out they can't fish for what they signed up for.

Glad you had a good time, the Kenai is where I spend my fall after running like a mad man all summer down here in Kodiak. It's also sad to say, but the others are right, the Kenai is no longer the place for monster kings. But the bows, well, that's what I'll be chasing in Sept, I'm so ready, can't wait.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    Glad you had a good time, the Kenai is where I spend my fall after running like a mad man all summer down here in Kodiak. It's also sad to say, but the others are right, the Kenai is no longer the place for monster kings. But the bows, well, that's what I'll be chasing in Sept, I'm so ready, can't wait.
    Should be great, I caught some dandies already when the red fishing was slow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk