Thread: Maiden voyage=humble pie

Default Maiden voyage=humble pie

I finally got my canoe out. It's been crazy hectic month. I spent two weeks without the wife and had to take care of our three year old. Postponed the maiden voyage. Finally took the canoe out with the motor. Yeah...I went swimming. Sunk in the muck then flipped canoe back up and finally got back to bank. The muck was deeper than the water. I took motor off and went paddling with two coworkers. I have a lot to learn before September. A lot. But I plan on going back tomorrow (or today depending on how you view time).

Maiden voyage in what canoe? What ob motor are you running...Don't/can't follow the day-to-day on this site...

We've all had our embarrassing and often dangerous moments, but you are just more open than most of us in recounting your experience. Nobody is an instant expert at anything. Always try to learn from your mistakes, rectify them, and try to be as safe as you can. If other people laugh about what you did, just realize that they too have had their screw-ups.
    Is your "kicker" oversized for your canoe, causing it to be top heavy? Been there, done that.

I have come pretty close to flipping a 17' Grumman canoe with a 7.5hp motor hanging off the back of it a time or two too.

Having to back off the throttle for corners takes some getting used to, but knowing you have some reserve power for going up stream is a good feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    We've all had our embarrassing and often dangerous moments, but you are just more open than most of us in recounting your experience. Nobody is an instant expert at anything. Always try to learn from your mistakes, rectify them, and try to be as safe as you can. If other people laugh about what you did, just realize that they too have had their screw-ups.
    Is your "kicker" oversized for your canoe, causing it to be top heavy? Been there, done that.
    Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    Maiden voyage in what canoe? What ob motor are you running...Don't/can't follow the day-to-day on this site...
    Quote Originally Posted by swmn View Post
    I have come pretty close to flipping a 17' Grumman canoe with a 7.5hp motor hanging off the back of it a time or two too.

Having to back off the throttle for corners takes some getting used to, but knowing you have some reserve power for going up stream is a good feeling.
    We all had a great laugh. Piper cub it's a 17' Grumman with 7.5 horse. I actually bought from SWMN. I never got motor fired up. The yukon is dropping so we had to wade through a good bit of muck. I was trying to launch canoe stern first. Very top heavy and luckily it was only me, the motor, and a paddle. Gas was still on bank with my friends. It really was funny.

Ended up up paddling down stream in a slough then turned around and came back. Fun night. Didn't get home until almost midnight.

Were you able to start the motor after dunking it. As for stuff happens I don't even have a canoe anymore.Short six mile trip the canoe made two of them and was paddled a hundred yards max. The first eight waterfalls I said I'm to old for this and left it up on the bank. Waded the creek three and a half more hours to hit pick up point.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Were you able to start the motor after dunking it. As for stuff happens I don't even have a canoe anymore.Short six mile trip the canoe made two of them and was paddled a hundred yards max. The first eight waterfalls I said I'm to old for this and left it up on the bank. Waded the creek three and a half more hours to hit pick up point.
    I didn't want to start it out of the water. After submerging it, I took off placed in back of truck and eventually took it home. I took the top housing off and will attempt a restart today. My friend with me said we should be ok. Just make sure it's all dried out. Learning curves

I have a Grumman 17' down in Idaho that I run a 6hp Evinrude on. Just use it for fishing, haven't dunked it yet.... No sharp turns at speed....