Thread: 115 eTEC Outboard Feedback

Default 115 eTEC Outboard Feedback

I planning on repowering my Silver Streak River Master. I am a Skidoo guy, so I am looking at the possibility of buying an Evinrude eTEC and putting a jet unit on it. If you have any experience with Evinrude eTEC's I would like your feedback as to the pros and cons of going with Evinrude outboards.

Thanks - Lynx

Default Etecs

I believe that the ETEC sleds are proven... the ETEC boat motors are shop queens..
    PM me for more details. BRP's customer service is great, but who buys a boat or motor to have it sit in the shop every weekend...

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx View Post
    I planning on repowering my Silver Streak River Master. I am a Skidoo guy, so I am looking at the possibility of buying an Evinrude eTEC and putting a jet unit on it. If you have any experience with Evinrude eTEC's I would like your feedback as to the pros and cons of going with Evinrude outboards.

Thanks - Lynx

I have a 50hp ETEC and I absolutely LOVE it... I had a newer 40hp Yamaha 4 stroke and it must have been propped wrong or something because it felt like it had NO guts at all. The ETEC gets on step instantly. Nothing but good things to say... Fuel efficient too!

I wouldn't consider eTECs unless you had a certified shop close by. No one else can work on them. A few guys bought them over here, and have really regretted it since we don't have an eTEC shop. They have to pay a whole lot of shipping just to get them worked on. And sad to say, they need lots more work than any other outboard, like Crescent Hills reports. My neighbor has one and he's so mad he could spit. Worked great when he serviced it and put away for winter, but hasn't run since. No help on the phone from the eTEC shop he bought it from. Ship it to them or shut up, is basically what he's hearing.

I have a 2008 model year 175 HP Etec... Over 500 hours on it... Had 1 injector go bad due to cracked solder joint that would short when at operating temp which was replaced under warranty... Otherwise ZERO ISSUES and absolutely LOVE the engine... Would not hesitate to get another one.

Thanks for the feedback... Due in part to feedback I received, I think I go with a Yamaha 115. Now to find a good price $$

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx View Post
    Thanks for the feedback... Due in part to feedback I received, I think I go with a Yamaha 115. Now to find a good price $$
    Good move!!!!!!

Default 115

I have a 115 Yamaha on my Jetcraft, I just hung the new Merc 115/80 jet on my Wooldrige.... LOVE this motor! 34# lighter than a ETEC. Real torque power and smooth as silk. This is the new model Merc 115 / 90 motor based on the 150 the introduced a few years ago... been very happy with the new 150's we have too.

Nothing against my 115 EFI Yami, but this new Merc seems to be over the top on performance, and weight with great fuel economy.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Good move!!!!!!