Thread: NATO Voere Couger Austria 30-06

Talking NATO Voere Couger Austria 30-06

Just "won" an Austrian Voere(Couger) from gunbroker for $401....$351 bid + $30 shipping + $20 for my FFL. I'm thrilled. From the pictures, it looks like it is 90% plus. The seller has over 100 A+ ratings with zero negative feedback. I've bid on one before in the $500 range, but, didn't get it. I have never handled one, but, have read that they are fairly lightweight and accurate. Keeping my fingers crossed for the ladder.

Anyone with experience or knowledge of these rifles?

The company's name is a combination of the founders' names: Voetter and Restle. Cougar in Deutsch is PUMA
    Voere of Kufstein, Austria is known for using Mauser actions for some very nice sporter rifles. They look similar to the old late 1940s and early 1950s Husqvarna rifles. and some of the older Parker Hales. They had various model numbers...

These days they make some unusual long range rifles in caliber like 338 Lapua.

Here is a photo of one on an auction site. You did very well.... Usually they are in the $500 to $600 range.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I have a Voere in .358 Norma. It started life as a .308 Norma, but Yukon Ted and I had his buddy Bevan King put a .358 NM barrel on it. Nice rifles, and a bit different. Seems to me they are almost identical to a Husqvarna, and that as good thing.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    I have a Voere in .358 Norma. It started life as a .308 Norma, but Yukon Ted and I had his buddy Bevan King put a .358 NM barrel on it. Nice rifles, and a bit different. Seems to me they are almost identical to a Husqvarna, and that as good thing.
    I just saw a picture of it from when you posted it a couple a years ago, very nice.

Thanks for the info Float Pilot.

Default Ejection problem?

Just shot the Voere this weekend, not for accuracy, just function. I was surprised that I needed to pull back on the bolt somewhat forcefully or the spent case would not eject. Not having experience with many Mausers admittedly, (one 96 in 6.5x55), this seems odd to me? I thought that once the case mouth clears the front of the action, the case should come flying out. After studying what was happening, it seems that there is a small piece of metal that protrudes from the left side of the bolt face when the bolt is fully opened that pushes the left side of the case head away, causing the case to flip out of the action. However, as said, if I do this slowly with out enough force, the case detaches from the bolt face and stays there lying on the magazine follower. Any knowledge that this is normal, or do I have a problem?

I haven't had a chance yet, but I'm going to get out my Rugers (tang safety style and MK II), sako and rem 700 and compare how they do with slow bolt opening and ejection.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastwoods View Post
    Just shot the Voere this weekend, not for accuracy, just function. I was surprised that I needed to pull back on the bolt somewhat forcefully or the spent case would not eject. Not having experience with many Mausers admittedly, (one 96 in 6.5x55), this seems odd to me? I thought that once the case mouth clears the front of the action, the case should come flying out. After studying what was happening, it seems that there is a small piece of metal that protrudes from the left side of the bolt face when the bolt is fully opened that pushes the left side of the case head away, causing the case to flip out of the action. However, as said, if I do this slowly with out enough force, the case detaches from the bolt face and stays there lying on the magazine follower. Any knowledge that this is normal, or do I have a problem?

I haven't had a chance yet, but I'm going to get out my Rugers (tang safety style and MK II), sako and rem 700 and compare how they do with slow bolt opening and ejection.
    Sounds like a typical Mauser fixed ejector.... gotta work the bolt like you mean it.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastwoods View Post

All is as it should be. (It is a GOOD thing.)

That's the way Mausers work. You can throw the empty case away or grab it for later use, depending on how you work the bolt.

Push feed rifles such as your 700 (with push button ejector) will throw away the shell as soon as it clears the action. So, if you want to catch it, you must block it with your hand.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Thanks guys. I did load it with five down and fired all five working the bolt from the shoulder, and had no hiccups. Still, your knowledge is .......comforting. That sounds a bit mooshy, but, accurate.

I went to compare the other actions and YIKES, forgot I had an Interarms Mark X in the safe.....never fired it ....comparing those two....same action, same everything (except safety). It extracted and dumped the shells the same. Little effort, no go; like you mean it, no problem.