Thread: Fish Creek dipnetting

Default Fish Creek dipnetting

Will that creek ever open up to dipnetting again? I sure did have a blast when it was open to dipnetting, plus it's like a 10-minute drive from my house.

I kinda doubt it especially with increased habitat degradation. Its really weird that they hardly allow sportfishing there either. THere used to be a comm fishery for those fish
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Habitat degradation has nothing to do with it. The creek must have a projected escapement greater than 70,000 fish in order to open the PU fishery. Sport has also been closed because the run has been having difficulty meeting the escapement goal of 20-70 thousand.

Default Hmmmm

I wonder why the susitna drainage fish aren't reaching escapement?? Don't you wish ADF&G knew? Or do they?

Mark

I wonder if the escapement goals began running into trouble right after the Big Lake Hatchery closed?

I don't know if it corilates with the hatchery closure but they do still stock fish/meadow creek.

I can't remember for sure what the gig is but it isn't just ironic that the hatchery closure and the run collapse happened all about the same time. I wouldn't plan on it ever being what it once was.

Cook lnlet Aquaculture still stocks Big Lake. It appears that the stocking is the main reason the run is still going. "In 2006, the proportion of hatchery-incubated fry in the sockeye smolt emigration was 52.8% (2.8%) (Table 3)."
    Development and everything that goes with it is probably playing a major role in the changes to this fishery.

http://www.ciaanet.org/Projects/big06.pdf

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by akkona View Post
    ....Development and everything that goes with it is probably playing a major role in the changes to this fishery.
    What kind of development that is going on would damage the salmon stock?

I can understand how activities at Big Lake itself (like increased boat/PWC traffic/wake) might be a factor, but just general development? I would think that if DNR/ADFG had any facts regarding development negatively impacting salmon runs, they'd put the halt to it immediately.

My sister-in-law has a place on Big Lake (the first structure, which burned down in the '96 fire was built in 1955), and in the fall the dead salmon washing up on the beach are so numerous it becomes a real problem when their dog goes rolling in them.