Thread: Portable Outboard Motor Questions

Default Portable Outboard Motor Questions

I've decided I need a portable outboard motor. I have a 16' Aire Cat. Would like to have the motor to do Kenai canyon and get across Skilak, accessing Gulkana form Paxon Lake...etc. Not much concerned about speed, just need to get across. Would like the lightest/smallest possible that will still do the trick. I have no concept of what size motor I need. Is 3.5HP enough? Since the 4/5/6 seem to be the same size, should I spring for the 6HP? Will that be too heavy or awkward to handle if I want to take it off and on and not leave it mounted? Do I need the longer (20") shaft to mount to the cat, or will the shorter (15") do the trick?
    Any insight would be appreciated!
    Thanks, ReAnn

As far as weight goes I have a 4hp 4 stroke and it weighs about 60lbs or so I use it for my tender on my salt water boat it's a 10ft zodiac and it will push it with myself and two more people about 5 or 6mph not fast but it works. I am able to move it around easy enough but if the 4-5 and 6hp are the same with the same weight I'd get the 6. Can't help you with what length you'd need because I don't know how far out of the water your transom is. I know you know it but just throwing it out make sure it's a 4 stroke if your taking it on the kenai

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

I have an 18ft Aire Lion cat and put a honda 20HP, about a hundred pounds and the boat scoots 20mph...makes a quick trip across Skilak...IMG_0898.jpg

I also built a UHMW floor to help with cavitation when she gets up on a plane...

Quote Originally Posted by ReAnn View Post
    Since the 4/5/6 seem to be the same size, should I spring for the 6HP? Will that be too heavy or awkward to handle if I want to take it off and on and not leave it mounted?
    Yes. Absolutely. I bought the 4 hp Yamaha last year and regret not getting the 6. Same weight and everything. Thought I was being smart saving some money. Stupid me. I don't leave mine on my boat at all, and I am constantly taking it on and off. It's heavy but not unmangeable. Hardest parts are lifting it up to the tailgate of the truck and centering it on the transom.

Just remember that on the Skilak, or any other part of the Kenai River drainage, the motor has to be either a four stroke or have EFI if it's a two stroke. No more cheap, lightweight outboards are permitted.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Strutz View Post
    Just remember that on the Skilak, or any other part of the Kenai River drainage, the motor has to be either a four stroke or have EFI if it's a two stroke. No more cheap, lightweight outboards are permitted.
    Don't get me started, but you're mostly correct. It's not EFI that is required but direct OIL injection, so, essentially an Evinrude.

I have a 16' NRS rivercat and I have to put a long shaft motor on my boat. I would suggest a 6 hp motor for it since the weights are the same. I used to have a 2 stroke 15 hp long shaft that I used on my cat. I was only able to use about half of the throttle because if I went too fast there was a stream of water that shot up near where the rowing seat was located. So, based on my experience a 6-8 hp motor would be about right. I hope this helps.