Thread: Line recommendations

Default Line recommendations

Hi all I'm toying with the idea of a new line for the 6wt. I'll be using it for Kenai rainbows when I come home week. I'll also probably hit the Russian for a day. I live in Maine now so here I primarily use it for freshwater bass and occasionally pike. I don't use the 6 a whole lot it's primarily the 4 for trout and 9 for striper.

What kind of taper works well fishing beads from a boat? I was looking at the airflo 40+ extreme (there is a good sale on it at work). Not sure I want /need something that heavy though. I like the Rio grand just not sure I want to drop that much on a line I don't use a whole lot. Also not sure I need a heavier taper fishing beads? Any input is appreciated thanks!
    Thank God for people who don't fish!! Not much would get done without them =)

Quote Originally Posted by AkCrimson View Post
    Hi all I'm toying with the idea of a new line for the 6wt. I'll be using it for Kenai rainbows when I come home week. I'll also probably hit the Russian for a day. I live in Maine now so here I primarily use it for freshwater bass and occasionally pike. I don't use the 6 a whole lot it's primarily the 4 for trout and 9 for striper.

What kind of taper works well fishing beads from a boat? I was looking at the airflo 40+ extreme (there is a good sale on it at work). Not sure I want /need something that heavy though. I like the Rio grand just not sure I want to drop that much on a line I don't use a whole lot. Also not sure I need a heavier taper fishing beads? Any input is appreciated thanks!
    If you are primarily fishing beads, look at an indicator/nymphing line from rio or scientific angler. You will be very happy with it.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Airflo Super-Dri Mend.

The guides I know who do it every day for a living are really sold on SA's Headstart line. It's a line with all its casting weight packed into a shorter head to load quicker to make it easier for beginners to cast. Coincidentally, that makes it a great line for things like beads, weight, big streamers and wind. Most of the guides have started using them themselves, they're so good. Best of all, they're one of the cheapest lines out there. From the way you describe your home waters, it will be quite useful after your trip too.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    The guides I know who do it every day for a living are really sold on SA's Headstart line. It's a line with all its casting weight packed into a shorter head to load quicker to make it easier for beginners to cast. Coincidentally, that makes it a great line for things like beads, weight, big streamers and wind. Most of the guides have started using them themselves, they're so good. Best of all, they're one of the cheapest lines out there. From the way you describe your home waters, it will be quite useful after your trip too.
    If you will allow me to geek out a little here. . In my opinion Throwing big heavy awkward stuff has less to do with head length then is does with front taper. To turn over that kind of gear you want a short powerful front taper. The short head certainly allows for faster loading, but isn't necessarily indicative of ability to toss heavy items.

Also a longer head would be more suitable for nymphing/beads, as it's more stable in the air, mends better, and roll cast better. But a long head with a long front taper still isn't going to turn over the fatties.

Just as example:
    SA Mastery Headstart 6wt=5' front taper with 35' total head length
    SA Mastery Texture nymph/indicator 6wt= 3' front taper with 49' total head length
    Cortland Indicator nymph =8' front taper with 56' head
    Airflo Super Dri mend is somewhere in the neighborhood of 5.5' front, 56' total

The RIO InTouch Xtreme Indicator is the one I find interesting. 33' total head, with 3' front taper (but it's designed to be chucked from a boat-hence the short head??)
    The RIO Euro Nymph line has a 15' front taper with 79' of head. Obviously designed with euro-style in mind (ie no indicator)

Now ask me if that matters-- am I going to notice a 2' difference in front taper ever? Maybe. And will I notice that long head when I'm fishing water 10'-30' wide?. Probably not. Like I said, geek stuff.

Get a (any) line, Go fishing, Drink Beer, Catch Fish. Life is good no matter what line you have.

Heck, Crimson I got a spare 6wt line laying around if you want to pick it up in Kenai. I don't even remember what it is..

Quote Originally Posted by icb12 View Post
    If you will allow me to geek out a little here. . In my opinion Throwing big heavy awkward stuff has less to do with head length then is does with front taper. To turn over that kind of gear you want a short powerful front taper.
    Ah, but you get the short powerful front taper with the Head Start. That's the point.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Ah, but you get the short powerful front taper with the Head Start. That's the point.
    I understand that... I posted it's specs above.

Your first post seemed to indicate its effectiveness was due to the head length. I misunderstood your point I guess.

Overall length isn't necessarily an indication of the front end characteristics.(I read that in hustler). Although to be fair, mathematics and probability suggest that a shorter overall head should have a shorter front taper.

Royal Wulffs Triangle Taper philosophy comes to mind. (I suppose the apples/oranges argument could be made for that though)

Airflo's 40+ is one with short-ish heads and longer front tapers too. Which is why it doubles as a nice switch rod line.

Airflo Super-Dri Mend.
    I'll have to give this line a shot, maybe sooner than later....
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

The super dri looks sweeeet. Too bad I have to save my money for waterfowl gear. Maybe for next year. Appreciate the input guys!
    Thank God for people who don't fish!! Not much would get done without them =)

Royal Wulffs Triangle Taper philosophy comes to mind. (I suppose the apples/oranges argument could be made for that though)
    I've been a dedicated fan of the TT for going on 4 decades, but the taper is too long and slow for streamers or nymphing, as much as I like it for dries.

Hands down winner for dedicated streamer use and short range nymphing is the Vision Vibe 65. It leaves the Rio Outbound Short in its wake. Probably best all around is their Vibe 85. For longer casts and anyone who can hold a little extra line in the air their Vibe 125 is kind of like a Wulff on steroids. It's my favorite dry line by a mile, but takes a fast taper rod to make the most of it for long casting. In the smaller switch rods it's everything anyone could want in a line, though I wish they made it in some bigger sizes for the heavier switch rods.

If you haven't tried Vision lines, time to get acquainted. They've cut waaaaay into my Rio stock.

Um Who is sponsoring the forum? Um! They are all good right. I changed over to Jim's lines a couple of year back and I am going to stick with them. Firs reason is they have treated me well from Dry Fly fishing to Spey to Ye ole Duck and Chuck. IMO the La Fontaine is awful difficult to beat.

BB the Vibes are cool. Nothing wrong with Air Flow either nor the Wullffs or the SA's "Not a huge fan of Rio sorry had several ick!

To each their own and that is how it should be but I am here to tell ya nothing wrong with Teeny Dry Fly, Nymph and or Streamer lines nothing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    ...nothing wrong with Teeny Dry Fly, Nymph and or Streamer lines....
    When they work for you they work. When they don't they don't. That's why there are so many manufacturers and models out there.

HA! Correct sir spot on. I guess what I am suggesting is everyone remembers Jim from back in the late 70's and early 80's.
    I for one will not trade my La Fontaine Teeny lines for anything else they tend to fit my Fly Rod Selection and Casting Methods and I tried them all just seem to fit. I promise you one thing if Marketing across the industry was matched dollar for Dollar a lot more people would be touting different lines. That is not to take away from anyone and or any other line just the nature of the beast of business.

Tight Lines you all~