Thread: Fish mount recommendation?

Default Fish mount recommendation?

Anyone have a certain taxidermist to recommend for a king salmon fiberglass fish mount? My girlfriend caught a very nice king at 43 lbs. from Little Su and it was her first king.

Mark Oslund - Alaska's Real Life Taxidermy. 2000 National Champion in the Cold Water Reproduction category. His stuff is on display in Mountain View Sports and Sportsman's Warehouse. His number is 344-6805. I know he is home right now, give him a call and we would be more than happy to talk with you. He will give you a good education about fish mounts even if you don't choose his services. His is a really great guy and even better fish taxidermist, actually, fish is all he does anymore. You won't get a better fish.

I second that motion... Oslund is working on this one for me as I type:

Here's a crummy shot that shows off the true size of this mega-hen a lot better... 50.5 inches snout to mid-fork!

"Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Thanks, guys. I'll give him a call tomorrow. Her first king would look really good in our new house.

fishNphysician,

That king hen has some girth! How big and where did you catch it at?

That is the biggest hen I will probably EVER lay hands on.... for the rest of my life! It was caught on July 29, 2002 out of Big Eddy. A fork length of 50.5 would have meant a total length (tip of snout to tip of tail) of at least 51-52 inches. ADFG test net sampling shows a mega-hen of that size falls at the 99.9%-ile for a LR4-o hen, and at the 99.2%-ile for a LR5-o... in other words a very RARE specimen!

I did not get a girth measurement because she kicked away just as I was making the attempt. Nonetheless, she was easily 32 inches around.... and that's being conservative. My best estimate for weight on that platinum she-pig is right around 70 pounds.

The following year I took a blushed hawg buck out of the very same spot that measured 53" fork-length x 31 - 3/4" that was decidedly skinnier than the 2002 mega-hen. Here's a pic for comparison:

"Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

I will see Mark this morning as we are going to pick up a boat together. He did just finish a piece for a Kenai guide that is a large buck in a 360 degree mount and its only connection point to a piece of driftwood is a kwikfish in the kings mouth. It has got to be awesome, I will get pictures as soon as I can!

Default WOW

I can't wait to see a pic of that.

Mark does amazing work, not the cheapest but definatly the best.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    I will see Mark this morning as we are going to pick up a boat together. He did just finish a piece for a Kenai guide that is a large buck in a 360 degree mount and its only connection point to a piece of driftwood is a kwikfish in the kings mouth. It has got to be awesome, I will get pictures as soon as I can!
    Here is a link to some pics Ty'n-M-On posted on the OR board.

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=174783

Thanks for sharing those pics Ty.
    The KeenEye MD

Knights I would look into.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    Not quite the engineering marvel that yukon spoke about above, but here's the 360 degree "in-the-round" mount of my Kenai MEGA-hen.

Thank you Mark Oslund!

http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/f...and#Post469986
    The KeenEye MD

Thumbs up awesome

that is a sweet mount doc. Great work and thnks for sharing it with us
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    That is the biggest hen I will probably EVER lay hands on...
    Beautiful mount!!! Thanks for letting her spawn to make more jumbo kings.

Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    Thanks for letting her spawn to make more jumbo kings.
    Her last direct contribution to the BIG FISH gene pool will be fully realized this coming July.

Any six year olds from her brood would have returned as LR4-o fish last July. There's even a chance that this big 51 x 30.5 buck may have been one of them:

Any seven year olds she produced would be returning as LR5-o MEGA-HAWGS in the summer of 2009.

Long Live the Kings!
    The KeenEye MD

Default Nice!

I made one of the pics on the link my new wallpaper
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Thanks for letting her pass on those genes to future generations! You should be proud of that. Many would have wanted to take to the dock and brag but you did the right thing! Doc i am coming up this summer and am going to hit the Kenai. I am going to follow your lead. If i happen to tangle with a king i pledge to do the same. The guys i am fishing with live up there and we made a pact not to keep any kings. With them being down it wont help if we pull a few out of the spawning pool.

As usual Francis you prove to be a class act......

I would also highly reccomend Mark Oslund - he does a super job and cooperates with Kenai River Sportfishing in the release a hog take home a trophy program. He's a really good guy (with a nice wife) who does some of the best mounts I have ever seen.