Thread: Silvers out of Homer--where??

Default Silvers out of Homer--where??

Anybody have a school of silvers tied up somewhere out of Homer. Along the bluff, by the can, Glacier spit...????

I saw a nice rack of silvers hanging at the Butt Whackers today.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Alaska View Post
    Anybody have a school of silvers tied up somewhere out of Homer. Along the bluff, by the can, Glacier spit...????

I saw a nice rack of silvers hanging at the Butt Whackers today.
    Guessing those came from Nanwalek. I was over there a week ago and you couldn't keep them off. I tried the bluff the other day and got into lots of pinks.

I was out Monday halibut drifting 25miles straight out from the green can, and the entire charter fleet seemed to be mooching/trolling around me. Saw GOBS of life under the water on my finder, and we picked up halibut before we were halfway down, halfway up and even had them follow our bare hooks to the surface. I was so tired of silvers after 3 days in Seward, I had no salmon gear on my boat but I could not resist... I dropped a mooch rig down with my halibut jigging pole and promptly caught a silver. nice sized too! (Ask HomerDave... he got a fillet!) It was comical trying to gaff it (no net either!) since the guy using the gaff was a newbie to using one. (cue the clown car music...)

Also heard the info about Nanwalek.
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

Yesterday we had a halibut follow a gob of herring up from 135'. When it saw the boat it was gone. Fun to see that happen.