Thread: Almost Cited

Unhappy Almost Cited

Since the weather was so gorgeous today I loaded up the boat and took the family to Knik. There was absolutely no way I was going to sit at home at watch TV all day. After I launched my boat a Trooper pulls up. No big deal, I have life vests for everyone, first aide kit, fire extinguisher, and (THANK GOODNESS) I just registered the boat, I should be good to go. There was another guy at the launch about ready to wet his line for kings. The Trooper informed him about the regs and gave him a booklet copy. Ok I figure I am next, so instead of taking off I wait for him to come over so we can chat. You know, the usual license/ID, proof that all required equipment is aboard kind of stuff.

We start talking about fishing kings and I told him I would boat to within a half mile of the tailrace and hope for a hookup. He was curious to see if anyone was fishing in areas they shouldn't as well. After that was over he went through his mental check list. Boat registration, check. PFD's, check. "OK where's your throw ring, flare gun, and whistle/horn." WHATTTT!!! I thought those were only required on ocean boats. Nope, come to find out they are required for most power boats on navitigable water ways, and all the documentation that I just read does not specify between fresh or salt water. Ok no big deal. I will run to Wal-Mart in the valley and pickup the required equipment so we can hit the water.

The guy was really cool about it. It's kind of odd no other Trooper that I have come in contact with when boating has even mentioned this stuff though, or even checked for such equipement. Atleast the Trooper I spoke with today got me up to snuff on the requirements, I can't blame him for doing his job either. So there's your friendly reminder concerning the required equipment to navigate Alaska's waters within the law.

http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/parks/boa...oatrequire.pdf

Smile In AK......

Yeah, I asked all kinds of questions to the Coasties at the show. Basically ALL waters in AK are treated like Blue water, (Ocean) So all boats whould be outfitted the same, Ocean or river. Next time you in West marine, they have a little booklet, it shows what is required for the size boat you operate, get one!! I have one IN the boat, so there is no confusion. Everyone be SAFE out there, and HAVE FUN!!!

West marine has a sale on the flare gun, hand flare, flag wistle et al kits for the next week or so.

Here's a safety reg overview for Alaska boating.

http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/parks/boa...oatrequire.pdf

I place my jon boat registration papers and a whistle in a transparent packing list bubble out of direct sun and rain exposure. It easily lasts until the next registration renewal.
    Last edited by Mr. Pid; 06-11-2007 at 09:54.