Thread: It's almost time for the Kenai River Humpy Classic!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default It's almost time for the Kenai River Humpy Classic!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh boy, it's nearly time for the Kenai River Classic!!! August 20-22

I think my invite must have gotten held up in the mail... Should be here any day...

In all seriousness though - I know in the past, politicians, policy makers, ADFG staff, and others have attended this event which Kenai River Sportfishing Association holds annually. While it used to be a King killing party, it has now switched to Coho. This year it may well be a Humpy slaughter.

While I have no desire to be a politician, I understand and have studied politics quite a bit - I get that sometimes one must be everyone's friend to a certain extent, and attend events hosted by people or organizations they may or may not agree with in order to grease the skids so to speak. But...

Now that most of the KRSA founders and leaders are either directly or indirectly involved in a lawsuit against the state of Alaska due to their desire to allocate a state resource via ballot initiative - something which is clearly against state law - how many of our neighbors and state employees or representatives will still see fit to show up at the party? How many will donate money? Where will that money go? Can donors possibly still believe that their money is going toward conservation? Am I justified in viewing their attendance as a sign of agreement/acceptance of this greed-based agenda?

Just curious. I would hope that the obvious hypocrisy of this organization and it's leaders would deter people from attending and or donating. Or maybe it will just rain

Don't mean to sound bitter, but I am...

Quote Originally Posted by smithtb View Post
    Oh boy, it's nearly time for the Kenai River Classic!!! August 20-22

I think my invite must have gotten held up in the mail... Should be here any day...

In all seriousness though - I know in the past, politicians, policy makers, ADFG staff, and others have attended this event which Kenai River Sportfishing Association holds annually. While it used to be a King killing party, it has now switched to Coho. This year it may well be a Humpy slaughter.

While I have no desire to be a politician, I understand and have studied politics quite a bit - I get that sometimes one must be everyone's friend to a certain extent, and attend events hosted by people or organizations they may or may not agree with in order to grease the skids so to speak. But...

Now that most of the KRSA founders and leaders are either directly or indirectly involved in a lawsuit against the state of Alaska due to their desire to allocate a state resource via ballot initiative - something which is clearly against state law - how many of our neighbors and state employees or representatives will still see fit to show up at the party? How many will donate money? Where will that money go? Can donors possibly still believe that their money is going toward conservation? Am I justified in viewing their attendance as a sign of agreement/acceptance of this greed-based agenda?

Just curious. I would hope that the obvious hypocrisy of this organization and it's leaders would deter people from attending and or donating. Or maybe it will just rain

Don't mean to sound bitter, but I am...
    I would hope every commercial fisherman sends a note to each of our representatives and the Gov office demanding that no one attend the classic. If they got a few hundred emails they would think twice about it. It is an election year. Also, the Gov is coming down for the Industry Appreciation Day and I would hope a few people would have signs out protesting his selection of leadership of ADF&&G and demand they be replaced if he is reelected. It is your fishery so is should come from you.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerka View Post
    I would hope every commercial fisherman sends a note to each of our representatives and the Gov office demanding that no one attend the classic.
    ...not just commercial fishermen, but sporties, dippers, and subsistence too. KRSA's agenda is good for no one.

I'm not a commercial guy, but I'm still giving my local sponsors an ear full.