Thread: Make your own - apple cranberry instant oatmeal

Default Make your own - apple cranberry instant oatmeal

Been gearing up for an upcoming float trip/hunt...I went to the store to look for instant oatmeal - hardly ever buy it because it is expensive and usually too sweet for my tastes. So, I decided to make my own...Gave it a try and it is really quite good..worth the extra effort... abut $1.30 per one cup dry (equivalent to 4 packages instant)...not sure how that equates to the store bought variety. It is about 570 calories per cup of dry mix.

1 large container of quick oats (15 servings)
    2.5 cups of dried apples
    3 cups of dried craisins
    2.5 cups pecans
    1 cup brown sugar
    3/4 to 1 stick butter (depends on how much you like, or how many calories you want)
    1 tbsp salt
    4 tbsp cinnamon

Using a food processor, I blended the quick oatmeal, 2 quick taps of the button, to make it 'instant'
    chop the craisins and dried apples into 1/4" pieces. Mix dried fruit, 3/4 cup of the brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt with the oatmeal.
    melt 2 tbsp butter in frying pan, add pecans and 1/4 cup of the brown sugar - cook over medium heat until the pecans become 'candied' (maybe 8 minutes), stir regularly while they are cooking.
    Cool and chop pecans and add to the oatmeal mix
    Add the number of servings you want into a ziploc type bag and 2 tsp butter per serving. This recipe makes about 18 cups dry mix.
    When you are ready to cook, boil water (2 cups per 1 cup mix), add contents of the bag and let sit for a couple minutes...Great stuff!
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

I know a good recipe when I see one. This one sounds like a no-brainer, and I'm going to try it. Thanks a bunch!

Quote Originally Posted by K Dill View Post
    I know a good recipe when I see one. This one sounds like a no-brainer, and I'm going to try it. Thanks a bunch!
    You bet! I think next year (or maybe sooner) I will try a banana's and cream or strawberries and cream variety. Using freeze dried strawberries/powdered cream or dried bananas...Lots of variations to consider, I suppose!

The pecans add quite a bit of expense to the cost of the oatmeal, but they do add good nutrients and calories for energy.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

I think I want some now, with a big cold glass of milk, yummy!