Thread: Mooching alternatives?

Default Mooching alternatives?

Curious if anyone has tried mooching with anything other than cut plug herring? On a work charter in Homer last week we were killing them with a hootchie with a small piece of herring. Extremely effective, but then again I have caught silvers on bare hooks.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Curious if anyone has tried mooching with anything other than cut plug herring? On a work charter in Homer last week we were killing them with a hootchie with a small piece of herring. Extremely effective, but then again I have caught silvers on bare hooks.
    They seem like they hit anything if you find them. I especially like the heads off a cutplug on a single hook. Rig it to spin and it works awesome! We caught about half of our fish on hoochies with a tiny piece of herring. I put on tailpieces off a green label herring that were less than an inch long on a single bare hook and it seemed to work great.

When we cleaned the fish, we found tons of sandlances but also pieces of cut herring, cut plugs, and whole horse herring with the tails cut off. Man, they were just eating ANYTHING! I'm sure its not always like that. but it seems when a lot of fish are around, their competitive instincts will make them hit just about anything. It's amazing to think these silvers spend less than 2 years in the ocean and get so big. Eating machines!!!

When mooching for silvers I fillet the herring and cut the fillets into ~1" wide strips. Have landed plenty of fish that way.

Then again, I've also used jigs, buzz bombs, spoons and spinners.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

As Paul mentioned, I've caught them on everything from spoons, jigs, plastics, and hootchies. Chartreuse green hootchies are my favorite. Lately I've been filleting my sardines and herring and then cut the fillets into offset square portions or diamond shapes. Put that on a single hook and it spins like crazy and works wonders.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Mooching with a Brad's Bait has definitely proven effective.

I understand they might not make them anymore but I just bought some.

Sobie2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    ...mooching with anything other than cut plug herring?
    Oh yeah. In addition to cutplug and hoochies with herring, we use tube jigs (especially white or chartreuse) with and without herring strip within, flies, rigged herring strips, small marabou jigs, softbait lures and more. Plastic worms, especially in pink or chartreuse can be deadly beyond your dreams.

If it's at the right place and moving, it will get their attention whether they hit it or not. When my brother visited from warmer climates he brought some rubber frogs as a joke. Tried them mooching, and caught silvers!

Couple weeks ago I used a squid jig that they were destroying but I had to switch it out because it really needs a hook closer to the top. I switched out to a P-line laser jig with a bright green back and they wore that out too. Made my hands smell a lot less without having to bait hooks.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

I was fishing last summer and I didn't have my favorite mooching rig with me so being the McGyver that I am.....I tied a couple hooks on to my Visa card and bam! I was on fire. Ripping silvers out of the water like a machine. After a bit my buddy did the same thing....but nothing nada not even a nibble....after I limited out I checked his setup and he was using an American Express....I quickly explained to him that visa is accepted world wide and not everyone excepts American Express
    What are ya...a fisherman...or a catcherman?

Haha. I wonder if a Capital One card would have worked - "What's in your wallet?"
    "Miss Mary"
    Kingfisher 2725, twin Yamaha 150's

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post

I understand they might not make them anymore but I just bought some.

Sobie2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    These are available at B&J's as of last night...bout a dozen on the shelf for those that are interested.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    These are available at B&J's as of last night...bout a dozen on the shelf for those that are interested.
    I'd suppose that herring threaded inline, as you've pictured before and used on that charter we were on last summer, would be pretty slick for mooching or even casting from shore.?.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    I'd suppose that herring threaded inline, as you've pictured before and used on that charter we were on last summer, would be pretty slick for mooching or even casting from shore.?.
    Absolutely Gary but it is a lot of work with several people fishing and when the bite is hot. I normally go bait-free unless I am anchored.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff