Thread: cooking while camping

Default cooking while camping

It's been a LONG time since I've camped in a camper (but lots of camping in a tent). What is your preferred cooking method? I have 5 kids traveling with, so meals consist of a bunch of food. I can't imagine that all of the cooking on that little stove (while dry camping) is preferred. Campfire, BBQ, campstove outside? We're traveling to hunt- if that matters. Give a girl some hints! Please & Thank you!

Do as much prep work as you can prior to leaving. Eg. for breakfast do scrambled eggs and bacon/sausage. At home scramble as many eggs for the crew for 1 meal - season, add spices, onion, peppers etc. and then pour into vac seal bag or heavy zip lock and seal shut. For dinners season steaks/burgers at home and put thos in vac/zippy bags and freeze...less ice to pack with! Plan your meals and have them all prepped ready to go so you spend time hunting and with the kids. Or if you have devoted kids put them to work on the prep work and meal selection. As for method, all that you mention if you have them. Make sure to bring some heavy duty aluminum foil so you can toss something on the fire. If you can get corn in the husk, soak in a buket of salt water and put directly on the grill or camp fire, makes for easy cleanup and tastes great!

I had a popup camper that was great for being a portable bunkhouse but was a real pain to cook in. If weight and space aren't an issue then bring along a two or three-burner stove and cook outside. Coleman white gas stoves have been around a long time, although I recently switched to propane. I like rhorn's advice about doing as much prep work ahead of time as possible. I'll be cooking up ahead of time several meal items such as BBQ country ribs and vacuum packing. Freeze em up and toss them in the cooler, then drop the bag in boiling water when it's dinner time.

Look online for a cookbook called Meals in a Jar. I have used a lot of these recipes over the years while hunting and rafting with two very hungry boys. All i did was cook up the meats and seal them and in another bag place the dry ingredients. Write the instructions (which are very easy) on the dry ingredients bag and your good to go. By the way the lasagna is probably all of ours favorite

I like a can cooker jr. or dutch oven, real fire or fake, in or outside. Tough to beat simple combo for pre-made or thrown together meals.

Wife does a great job with shishkabobs. Precut a bunch of veggies, mushrooms and marinate some different meats in a bag. Bring some bamboo skewers. Essentially finger-food. Easy cook, easy cleanup and yummy for non-picky eaters.

Outside camp stove + fire w/grill + your camper stove. You'll be doing a lot of moving around! A folding camp table and a Coleman stove is sure nice when the weather is rainy. Take LOTS of h/d aluminum foil. You can use it for lids, for reflecting heat, make vessels with it, and for wrapping food to keep it warm.

I know I'm a little late to the party, but, Camp Chef Pro 60 or 90 stoves, Grill Boxes, and Griddles are the best way I have found to cook for groups while camping. It all takes up room but is well worth the trade off. We have added a Coleman Hot Water on Demand a folding table and one of the Camp Chef ovens all set up under a pop-up gazebo and we have an instant kitchen.

I know I'm a little late to the party, but, Camp Chef Pro 60 or 90 stoves, Grill Boxes, and Griddles are the best way I have found to cook for groups while camping. It all takes up room but is well worth the trade off. We have added a Coleman Hot Water on Demand a folding table and one of the Camp Chef ovens all set up under a pop-up gazebo and we have an instant kitchen.

Thumbs up

We have spent lots of time in wall tents, sleeping on our boat, slide in campers and now we have a big 30' Raptor Toy Hauler. But, the formula remains the same. We keep it simple and prepare meals ahead of time, freeze them and eat them when they thaw. Think soups and casseroles of a couple different flavors etc. A boneless smoked and cooked ham lasts for a long time and is a versatile meat. Pre-cooked frozen bacon, pre-cooked sausages, frozen sliced beef and smoked turkey, boiled and regular eggs, etc. Frozen steaks are easy as is ground meat. For bread we prefer some kind of a hoagie bun that does not squash easily, make mine sourdough or wheat and don't forget the peanut butter, regular butter in a tub and honey and jam. There is no end to canned meats and veggies and fruits and Alaskan camping law states every camp should have a couple of cans of spam in it's pantry, well I think it does. Choose your favorite seasonings and bottled sauces or spreads. Lots of sliced and diced up onions! Store bought muffins and instant oat meal and cereals are easy for breakfast. Lots of easy snacks, some candy and granola bars, chips and trail mix and chow down. We freeze water in gallon jugs and drink it later and freeze half gallons of milk to drink later. The above stuff has saw us through many a day away from towns and stores and is easy to deal with if you have a decent cooler and your not carrying it on your back. With 5 kids you will have your hands full. If it's nice out kick them out side so you can cook. Having a table and 2 or 3 burner propane stove set up out side will be a good deal. Let me know when dinner is ready! LOL