Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whitter Lately

Default Whitter Lately

How has the silver fishing been out of Whitter lately. New to it so if you wouldn't might giving up an area to start looking it would be great.
    Thanks Dan

They may not be getting a lot of pressure right since the weather for the past week has been mainly small craft advisories and gale warnings as it is today. Decided to use the down time to check everything out and fix a few odds and ends.

When my family and I go out we look for other boats gathered together. Even though we usually go to seward we do take 1 or 2 trips to whittier during the silver season. This what we do and we have sucsess, hope you do to.

robertmcf,
    do you basicly do the same thing out of Seward. Also thought of going there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    How has the silver fishing been out of Whitter lately. New to it so if you wouldn't might giving up an area to start looking it would be great.
    Thanks Dan
    I find my best fishing is at the mouth of Main Bay and around the North East point of Crafton Island. I've also done OK around Pigot Point for Silvers late in the season. PM me for any questions.Good Luck Brah!!

Quote Originally Posted by bkbaker View Post
    I find my best fishing is at the mouth of Main Bay and around the North East point of Crafton Island. I've also done OK around Pigot Point for Silvers late in the season. PM me for any questions.Good Luck Brah!!
    However the silver fishing out of Seward, 6 fish limit!!, fishing can be CRAZY.
    Weather on the outside of Seward is much more fickle and exposed than my areas in the Sound.
    I have never seen fishing in the Sound as hot as Seward can be.

Thanks for the info bkbaker.
    Dan

I'm going to give Whittier a shot tomorrow to see if we can scare up some silvers somewhere. Tomorrow's the only decent marine forecast in the last 4-5 days, and it looks like it's going to get snotty again for Saturday.
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

Good luck let me know. The snotty weather has kept me away myself.

It's been snotty for sure. I haven't seen any fish jumping.

Well, the break in the weather that was supposed to happen on Friday wasn't really there. Port Wells, as usual, was a big mixing bowl of slop. We still managed to get out get out and fish around Lake Bay, north and south ends of Perry and the south end of Culross Pass. I wanted to try fishing around the N end of the Pass, but it was a complete mess. No silvers to be had anywhere between our two boats. Still a few humpies around. We caught one 20# halibut on the west side of Applegate Island, among the several other boats that were hiding out from the easterlies.
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

Although I did see a few silvers jump yesterday, it's not looking good at this point. There are a definately a few being caught in the usual places, but numbers seem to be way down. Yesterday, I spoke to a charter captain in Valdez that told me he caught 6 in 6 hours of fishing. I have not tried first hand as we've been trying to halibut fish whenever the weather lets us.

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    Well, the break in the weather that was supposed to happen on Friday wasn't really there. Port Wells, as usual, was a big mixing bowl of slop. We still managed to get out get out and fish around Lake Bay, north and south ends of Perry and the south end of Culross Pass. I wanted to try fishing around the N end of the Pass, but it was a complete mess. No silvers to be had anywhere between our two boats. Still a few humpies around. We caught one 20# halibut on the west side of Applegate Island, among the several other boats that were hiding out from the easterlies.
    Too bad you didn't get the weather break you'd hoped for. What kind of vessel are you driving, MRFISH? I'm all hot to go, but it'll have to calm down a whole bunch for my little rig.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    Too bad you didn't get the weather break you'd hoped for. What kind of vessel are you driving, MRFISH? I'm all hot to go, but it'll have to calm down a whole bunch for my little rig.
    My ride is a 24' Wooldridge Alaskan II, really a river boat and uncomfortable out there in much of a chop. It does "okay" in moderate weather if I really slow it down and trim the bow way up. Most of Passage Canal, especially inside of Decision was okay yesterday...but there was a good NE coming down Port Wells and it was consistent 3-4 footers w/ an occasional 5' to keep you on your toes. It was mostly east wind and waves everywhere else we went.

I'll shoot you a message next time I'm thinking about going...but that might be if for me and PWS this year...May and June are really my months out there because of the weather and the rest of the year I keep my boat on the rivers where it's more at home.

"May and June are really my months out there because of the weather"

It was so nice earlier in the season that its hard to imagine those same waters getting angry...and staying that way for a good while.

Might get my chance again. Work stops on 27th of this month.
    Anyone doing any good lately? My boat is a 25 foot Bayliner, which might handle the weather better.
    Thanks for all the info so far
    Dan

I was out for several days, and put one day into silvers. We got a couple by Lone island, but tried up by Eaglek, Naked, Knight and Crafton and got nothing. If they are out there, I could not figure out where.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

This year has been a bust for me for silvers in PWS (the Whittier side). We picked up a few smaller halibut at main bay last Friday on the morning flood tide but once it turned, the bite stopped abruptly. We did best soaking bait on circle hooks; the small cod made jigging difficult.

Certainly the strangest year for me out in PWS. I started fishing the sound in 2006 when I moved up from Juneau. I normally set my 30 hook halibut long line no more than 2-3 times and I have my fish for the winter. Well this year I set it 8 times.......for a whopping 4 fish. Stunned. My normal spots that produce 6-10 fish a day were all skunks. The four I did get were quite small. I don't think its a question of the sound being fished out, I thinks its a question of warmer water, lots of bait and the fish just aren't hungry for lures/bait. Same thing for Coho.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I've had a weird season out of Whittier too. My last 4 trips out have been prety much a bust on Halibut. We even fished the needles, Latouche Pass and a few other spats this past weekend before the weather rolled in. Lost two good fish halfway to the boat, but nothing else.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast