Thread: Hull Disposal

Default Hull Disposal

Now and then I'll see an ad for a decent trailer....but as part of the deal, it comes with a free absolute basket case hull. So what's the best way to get rid of a beyond repair hull? Can they be taken to the land fill? I bet that's expensive. I've never seen a junk yard for boats???

Chainsaw party?

I'm guessing you mean fiberglass and/or wood boats. An aluminumboat can be taken to the Anchorage transfer station and sold for scrap. Fiberglass you could, on a more serious note, cut it up with a sawz-all (my neighbor did it; it took a while) and take it in the back of your pick up to the landfill and done for $15. Wood...bonfire at the cabin!!!

If it's a smaller hull, you might also consider converting it to a raised bed garden.

If it is aluminum take it to the metal recycling place on King Street... If it's fiberglass take it to hiland dumpsite in one piece.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

I got a heavy duty boat trailer for my Uniflite out from under a junker 26' Bayliner. I trailered the boat to the dump, and the yard guys lifted it off the trailer and ran over the boat a few times with the bulldozer. I think it cost me $400. In Juneau.

Sobie2

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post
    I got a heavy duty boat trailer for my Uniflite out from under a junker 26' Bayliner. I trailered the boat to the dump, and the yard guys lifted it off the trailer and ran over the boat a few times with the bulldozer. I think it cost me $400. In Juneau.

Sobie2
    Was that junker bayliner an old, red Saratoga by chance?
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post

Sobie2

My first thought was $400 is a bit spendy. Then again, I'd pay $400 to see a boat run over with a bulldozer lol

No, but I almost got a similar trailer deal from under a red Saratoga that lived in Lemon Creek from a guy who worked for the Feds as a property officer. The bayliner I sent to the yard was a blue Nisqually flybridge. My wife would say that the Uniflite now sitting on the trailer ought to also head to the dump...

Photos below are for reference:

Saratoga

Nisqually

Sobie2

Sobie, was curious if my old boat is still floating around juneau. A 1978 saratoga with fly bridge. Man i put some hours on that pig back when gas was under $2.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am