Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Definition of Hunter Education Requirement?

Default Definition of Hunter Education Requirement?

In the Great book it states:

If you were born after January 1, 1986 and are 16 years old orolder
    , you must have successfully completed a Basic Hunter Educa-tion course before you hunt in the units listed above.

What the heck does that mean? I was born in July 1986, Yes I have to take it. But my wife was born in 1984, the first part she would not have to take the hunters education course. But then the wonderful people who write this book want to make it confusing as possible and throw in the second part. "and are 16 years old or older" So if you are older than 16 you need it? In that case why wouldn't they just keep it at that, and just say if you are older than 16 you must take the class with a bunch of ten year olds??? the way I read it is my wife is good if born after 1984, that is all. If you want to complain about the rule, go to the "be advised" thread. I just want some clarification before we get a ticket for a poorly written regulation statement.

born before your wife doesn't need it......If you were born after 1986 but are fifteen or less you don't necessarily need it yet either

Dang it means you are thirteen years younger than my baby girl and five years older than my first grandkid. No wonder I feel old.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Uh, what is the hard part here? If you are born after a certain date you need hunter ed, that's all there is to it. If you don't understand
    maybe you need an english tutor.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

In Michigan it is 1964.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

That was helpful, Ron.

JoJo... don't over think it. It's a simple grandfather clause. All of us born before 1/2/86 do not have to take the class, regardless of our age. Everyone born after 1/1/86, upon reaching the age of 16, must take the class. So, you won't be in a class with any 10-year olds. It's only for hunters who are at least 16.

If you do the math, it simply means that everyone between the age of 16 and 28 has to take the class. Next year it will be everyone between age 16 and 29, the next year 16 and 30, etc. It's just a moving target on the top age cutoff, i.e. a grandfather clause. It is a pretty common method of not imposing a retroactive law upon people who were lawfully working under an older version of the law.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    That was helpful, Ron.

JoJo... don't over think it. It's a simple grandfather clause. All of us born before 1/2/86 do not have to take the class, regardless of our age. Everyone born after 1/1/86, upon reaching the age of 16, must take the class. So, you won't be in a class with any 10-year olds. It's only for hunters who are at least 16.

If you do the math, it simply means that everyone between the age of 16 and 28 has to take the class. Next year it will be everyone between age 16 and 29, the next year 16 and 30, etc. It's just a moving target on the top age cutoff, i.e. a grandfather clause. It is a pretty common method of not imposing a retroactive law upon people who were lawfully working under an older version of the law.
    When you are operating on little to no sleep, it is amazing what gets posted. I just find dates as random sometimes.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

That was helpful, Ron.

Uh wrong! If your kids are 10yrs or older they can take hunter safety in Alaska when my daughter did it she was 10 and half the class was full of kids less than 16yrs of age.

That is correct. The youngest I have had in the classes I have taught is 9. He wasn't happy that he still couldn't get his own tags though (gotta be 10 for that). If you are under age 16 and want to hunt without taking hunter ed, you must do so directly supervised by someone over 16 that has taken hunter ed or is exempt because of age.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Just go take the course. I was grandfathered in, born in 1964, but certain hunt situations/circumstances/areas will require one to have the certification regardless, so I had to take it anyhow.

Do the both of you a favor and take the class together at the next opportunity, it can only help you in the long haul, and it gives you both an activity to enjoy together.

If you apply for a draw tag (and get it) you will be required to have the Basic Ed Class regardless of age if the hunt is on a military base, federal land, and I believe State park land, as well as other specific draws. In two years All Archery Hunters will have to complete the Archery Hunter Ed Class. If I had to guess, I would say in five years all hunters will be required to take the Basic Hunter's Ed Class. I just completed it and there was one guy older (age 69). As with hunting/camping with a new person...I always learn things from others and I take the good things, incorporate them, and toss out what I don't like or does not fit with how I hunt. I would encourage everyone to take these courses.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

One year almost my entire class was made up of 8-10 year olds taking the class. They were the best group of students I ever taught. Knew every question, read the entire book and had great enthusiasm. Wonderful group. Parents had a great time with it too. It was also a great pleasure to teach them on my part. The BEST part, was the picture of the proud dad and his daughter with her moose, 1 year latter.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    Uh, what is the hard part here? If you are born after a certain date you need hunter ed, that's all there is to it. If you don't understand
    maybe you need an english tutor.
    How is being a dick helpful?

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Uh wrong! If your kids are 10yrs or older they can take hunter safety in Alaska when my daughter did it she was 10 and half the class was full of kids less than 16yrs of age.
    OK, so maybe they allow younger kids to attend, but the question was about the requirement. They are not required to take it until they are 16.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by akjeff View Post
    How is being a dick helpful?
    Hey, I think Dave asks me that question at least once a year!!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    Just go take the course. I was grandfathered in, born in 1964, but certain hunt situations/circumstances/areas will require one to have the certification regardless, so I had to take it anyhow.

Do the both of you a favor and take the class together at the next opportunity, it can only help you in the long haul, and it gives you both an activity to enjoy together.

Sound advice right there. My wife and I did the same thing. Neither of us needed it, but it made for a fun date anyhow, and it also allows us to hunt certain hunts that we couldn't do without it (like the new hot spot winter cow hunts). And even though we thought there wasn't anything they could teach us we didn't already know, in reality there were a few good refresher tips that we both probably needed to hear.

Just for the record Jojomoose, I always thought the wording of that regulation was confusing too.

OK, so maybe they allow younger kids to attend, but the question was about the requirement. They are not required to take it until they are 16.
    How about they let you take the class...

I took my class at 12. My oldest son at 10 and my youngest son at 8. My oldest got one question wrong and my youngest had two wrong. My wife took the class at 24. I sat with all of them. Everyone learns something from taking the class.

Edwin Hubble

As I mentioned before I had to take the class again so I could hunt in CO. back in 97'. The one thing that I do appreciate now is the fact that they go over "ethics". This is one part of the class that I don't remember them going over when I took the class way back in the 60's.

I feel it is of vital importance to try and install some sense of respect, or "having a conscience", when someone is considering taking the life of an animal. I think it's only fair to the rest of us that do.

It really shouldn't just be about learning to handle a gun and going out and killing something.

Of course, this is IMHO......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

4merguide,
    Most young hunters came from hunting families. If they didn't teach their children hunting ethics prior to a Hunter Education course, there something wrong.

I guess society has to raise our kids for us. If a child was raised right, he/ she wouldn't be learning too much at a HE course, especially ethics. Good hunting ethics reflects overall good ethics which can't be taught on line or in 4 hours of class room instruction, IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast